We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in Manihi?

California
Level Contributor
749 posts
1 review
Mosquitoes in Manihi?

We've stayed at a couple of the larger resorts in Bora Bora and Taah'aa, but next month will be our first trip to a smaller island. I've read that mosquitoes and bugs can be a problem on the smaller islands/motus. Is that true? Do we need to bring netting or mosquito coils for our OWB? Thanks for any advice you can give us.

2 replies to this topic
Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1. Re: Mosquitoes in Manihi?

If you're staying at the Pearl in Manihi it should not be a big prob lem as they do spray the property (same in Tikehau). If you're staying in a pension it might be a little different but nothing that a good spray or fan or mosquito coil can't fix (the latter 2 are usually provided by the pensions). The mosquito's usual "meet & greet" is early morning and around 4 pm but it then also depends on the weather conditions (wind, rain). Other "bugs" are the same as you'd find on the other islands... What you may experience certain days is the "nono" tiny little black sand fly, but they're not present each and every day. If you'll feel their itch, do NOT scratch but caress (as the locals say and do) as scratching them gives large blotches that do disappear the next day.

California
Level Contributor
749 posts
1 review
2. Re: Mosquitoes in Manihi?

Thanks so much for your help poehere! We are staying at the Pearl, so that eases my mind that they have coils if we need them. And your suggestion on caressing the bites was really helpful because mosquitoes always seem to feast on me. Counting the days till we're in paradise again!

Reply to: Mosquitoes in Manihi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manihi
Recent Conversations