We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

We are in Bora Bora and our flight back to Tahiti keeps getting changed.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
474 reviews
1. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

yep, our flights to raitea tomorrow cancelled. not happy

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

Well I guess there are worse places to be stuck. Does anyone know if flights out of Tahiti are flying to the US? Or is this just a Air Tahiti strike? Might have to find a boat to get to Tahiti to get home.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
474 reviews
3. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

just air tahiti. we on ferry tomorrow. our concern is when we get to raitea that we will be stranded there, and unable to get to Papeete for our international. I loathe striking as it just causes pain for innocent people, for a others own demands.

At this stage the latest news advises more staff are joining strike action and more flights affected, and will continue to be affected. But nobody can give you any straight answer at Air Tahiti as it all depends who turns up for work each day.

Edited: 18 May 2016, 07:59
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
266 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

OK thanks. Yeah my international flight leaves Papeete on the 20th of May I sure hope I can get there in the next two days.

San Francisco...
10 posts
5. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

Oh no! Arriving to Tahiti tomorrow, then off to Bora Bora and Moorea Already on a tight schedule and really hope for no cancellations/changes...The article states strike will only affect outer islands, but based on previous posts it's obviously misleading. :((((((

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

Its France, so of course there is a strike. Just google French Polynesia Strike and it seems like there is one every few months. I am of course a bit worried, I will be flying in on the 25th and plan on flying to Moorea, if I have to take the ferry big deal. Of course my major issue is getting to Bora Bora two days later next Friday.

Really a shame when employees of companies do this, it only hurts their cause more, and only hurts the airlines, that is struggling to make money even more. But that's the way it is done there...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
303 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

I am also concerned. I fly to PPT from Los Angeles tomorrow night (Friday, May 20), and am supposed to fly to Tikehau right after we land in PPT on Saturday morning.

For those of you with cancelled flights, how were you notified?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

It is just Air Tahiti, not Air Tahiti Nui or any of the other airlines such as Air France. Only domestic flights right now. Which ones seem to be random, but its looking like its more heavily affecting flights to less populated/less traveled islands.

We will see how it progresses the next few days.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,423 posts
660 reviews
9. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php…

Air Tahiti Nui has postponed all flights to and from Papeete, Tahiti, due to a strike by government employees at Faa’a International Airport, the main gateway to French Polynesia.

The strike, by customs officers and emergency fire crews, has prevented the operation of all wide-bodied jet aircraft to and from Papeete, and left more than 3600 passengers stranded in Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, the USA and France.

Employees of Air Tahiti Nui are not involved in the strike.

With no indication of when industrial action might end, Air Tahiti Nui is unable to advise when flights to Papeete will resume.

Edited: 18 May 2016, 17:30
San Francisco...
10 posts
10. Re: Any word on Air Tahiti strike?

This article is as of June 2010, flying out tonight, almost got a heart attack!