We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

I've read lots of posts on alcohol acquisition and consumption but what about the ice that goes in the lovely drinks? Is ice readily accessible at the resorts like regular hotel ice machines? Is tap water safe to drink in Bora Bora? We're staying at the Pearl. Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

We stayed at Le Meridian and they have ice machines right on the pontoons where the OWB are. I brought a small collapsable cooler bag with me and would use that to fill at the ice machines. Putting the ice in an ice bucket is only good for a drink or two because the ice melts. We had bottled water in our room and we bought more when we went to town. I'm sure you can drink the water at the resort but I like bottled water better.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Thank you for the information! Preparing now for trip in June!

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
675 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Tap water is perfectly fine to drink in Bora Bora.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
297 reviews
4. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Both are safe - though, as jmob noted, prefer bottled in any case.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Good to know. Don't want to carry heavy bottled water but may get some. At a different island location, a friend used tap water to brush her teeth and lost a day of vacation being sick! I like to be informed. Thank you

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,423 posts
660 reviews
6. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Most of the resorts will have ice for you and water and drinks in your room.

Paradise Valley...
Level Contributor
242 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

The Pearl will supply you with water, or you can go into town to Chin Lee grocery store and get larger ones.

There are no ice machines at the Pearl IIRC, but room service will bring it to you (but as noted above, it melts within a few minutes).

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Thanks for the Pearl specific info. Want to spend most of the time enjoy our OTW bungalow vs back & forth to grocery. Will do some shopping for supplies in Pepeete before our flight but will be conscious of weight. Red wine may be the key - no refrigeration required! Ha!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

Thanks for the Pearl specific info. Want to spend most of the time enjoy our OTW bungalow vs back & forth to grocery. Will do some shopping for supplies in Pepeete before our flight but will be conscious of weight. Red wine may be the key - no refrigeration required! Ha!

New England
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
10. Re: Water and Ice accessible and safe to drink?

I will not drink water anywhere that I believe it will impact my ability to enjoy my trip.

This isn't one of them. We drank the water in Moorea, Bora Bora and Rangiora for 12 nights and had nary a bout of upset stomach.

I assure you all those frozen drinks and cocktails they are serving at the bar (not to mention the machines scattered throughout the resorts) are being made using tap water.

If you want to pay the St. Regis $10 for a glass bottle of water go for it. You are wasting your money and that bottle has a huge carbon footprint.