We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3: Vaitape

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
57 reviews
Day 3: Vaitape

Day 3 started out with the most beautiful views so far. There were no clouds so the sun was hitting the lagoon and it looked better than any picture I've ever seen of Bora Bora. We went to the gym and worked out with a view of the sea, which you can't access. The gym has coffee, water, oranges, apples, almonds. It also has towels, boxing gloves and other things for you to use and not miss your daily excercise. My wifer certainly loved it. We took some early pictures as the light was perfect and you could get a wonderful view of Mt Otemanu. We proceeded to take the daily (for around 20 dollars) fairy to the main island to the town of Vaitape. It's a very small place with very limited things to do and eat. Most places were closed because it was a Saturday and really I think there's no reason to go. Even if you want to get some alcohol and snacks in the super market, you will find out that it's still very very expensive. We ate at the St James which was not the best experience.

What happens is that we arrived on the daily scheduled ferry at around 145 pm. It turns out we walkes to this recommended restaurant and they told us the kitchen was closed, which didn't make sense as the fairy is daily, they didn't even offer drinks, which were available at the bar. They also had anything cold available and didn't offer it. We were starving and wakled like 20 minutes to get there. My friend asked and they said yes. We ended up ordering some raw fish and it was not good at all. It was also as expensive as the hotel which is a lot better. So I wouldn't recommend going to the main island unless you have something specific you want to do.

We had dinner at the Sunset Bar at the Four Seasons, which serves sushi. It was very low quality and wouldn't recommend it. The pool bar has way better food. Don't waste your time specially if you're well versed in japanese food.

Even though we didn't have the best food experience today, the place more than made up for it as everything looked wonderful and gorgeous!

12 replies to this topic
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

We will only be at 4 Seasons for 6days/ 5 nights so will definitely not go into the town....thanks for that info.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful stay....love hearing about it!

Level Contributor
67 posts
2. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

Vaitape is a very small town but we make sure to visit every time we’re in Bora Bora. There’s several shops that are fun to browse and a good place to buy souvenirs and gifts to take home.

There’s also some awesome art galleries as well. Our favorite is Jean-Pierre Frey’s, where we bought 2 of his paintings last March. Him and his wife were so nice and so much fun to talk to as they;re very passionate about French Polynesia and his artwork. They wrapped up our artwork so it was super easy to carry on the plane since it’s considered Duty Free, and they even delivered it to our resort for us.

If you’re staying on a motu, it’s nice to visit the mainland and Vaitape to see the real Bora Bora, must don’t expect a fast paced, touristy town.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

Hmmmmm.....may need to visit the art galleries....thx!

Paradise Valley...
Level Contributor
246 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

I love Bora Home Gallerie for their beautiful glass art work

Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
299 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

We loved Vaitape and all the island had to offer. Sorry you had a bad experience.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

Probably because it was Saturday most things were closed.

Vaitape, French...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

There are two shops worth to visit: Bora Bora original (Vaitape centre) & Coqui Coqui (Matira beach).

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,021 posts
670 reviews
8. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

Thanks for sharing your experience thus far!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

My pleasure. I don't mean to downtalk Vaitape, just that for me it's not worth leaving the wonderful resort to see things that are really nothing I've never seen before.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
10. Re: Day 3: Vaitape

Juan, when you took the shuttle to the main town, did you have to take a taxi to get into vaitape from the dock or was everything close by walking? I’m looking to go to chin lee market later.

Reply to: Day 3: Vaitape
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bora Bora