We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

Hi!

Which sights should one see on a self drive from Olympos to Antalya apart from Chimera?

Thanks a lot!

8 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
304 reviews
1. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

The ruined city at Olympos, a boat trip along the coast and a visit to Phaselis, Mount Tahtali (Mt Olympos), Antalya museum and the ancient Roman harbour and narrow streets of the Kaleici in Antalya.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297969-…

turkishtravelblog.com/mount-tahtali-cable-ca…

http://www.olymposteleferik.com/en/home/

turkeysforlife.com/2011/03/antalya-old-town-…

Edited: 16 September 2014, 20:30
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

you should drive to the historical site of Phaselis ( great beaches as well to visit ) it is about a 20 minute drive from Cirali to the site of Phaselis..also I do hope that you are planning to spend a bit of time in Olympos or Cirali. on another note the flames of the chimaera are more easily accessed from the cirali village rather than Olympos..plus the beach is more accessable from the cirali side.

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

Thanks Scousemouse and Canmom for the info! Really helps.

Canmom: I was planning on staying in one of the treehouses in Olympos but now I think its better to find one in Cirali.

Scousemouse: For the boat trip, I've plans to see Myra, St. Nick's and Ucagiz/Kakova Island from Kas and then overnight in the treehouse.

Also,

Could you tell me how is Duden falls and Karain Cave? Is it something special?

To reach the flames, is it a tough climb with kids? I've two, 3 and 6.

Thanks for your time and help !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
304 reviews
4. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

You would be best to visit Myra (Demre) as you travel to Olympos/Cirali from Kas, it is not near the sea. When we were there a couple of years ago we could not even get near St Nic's for the coachloads of Russian tourists.

Ucagiz/Kekova can be done as a boat trip but from Kas only if the weather is fair, or you can drive directly to Ucagiz and get on the boat there as it is much more sheltered in the bays, this trip would also include Simena (Kale) which is lovely.

I haven't been to the upper Duden Falls or the Karain Cave yet but if you are going there you should include Termessos in your visit. Canmom will be better able to answer this.

I would not say the chimaera is a tough climb, it is made easier by gradual steps but for some reason we always have a couple of stops even though we spend most of our holidays hill walking! It could be the heat I suppose, you will probably end up carrying your little one.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

<<<To reach the flames, is it a tough climb with kids? I've two, 3 and 6.<<<

just take it slow and easy and you will be fine.

do not forget to bring a FLASHLIGHT for visiting the chimaera..possible trip to visit the flames on the mountain side of the Chimaera..( yanartas ). The walk from the parking lot to the flames is around 30 mins. be sure to have good or decent walking shoes..no flip flops etc.

also maybe get some marshmellows for the children to roast over the flames..take some water with you

best time to visit the flames is at around 730/8pm or just as it is dark

also do be advised that there are no bank machines ATM's or banks, in Cirali ... nearest ATM is about a 20-30 minute drive..

<<<Canmom: I was planning on staying in one of the treehouses in Olympos but now I think its better to find one in Cirali.<<

you should check out the family bungalows in Cirali they would be perfect for you and your 2 children..Cirali would be more suitable for families with children whereas olympos is or caters for a younger party crowd

I would plan to spend at least 2 or 3 nights in Cirali as with small children would not advise visiting the olympos ruins and the chimaera on the same day as it would be too much walking for them..do each site on separate days..

yes the upper and lower duden falls are nice to visit..and you can reach them by car from antalya..

when do you plan to visit ?

Edited: 17 September 2014, 11:00
Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

Thanks Scousemouse and Canmom once again for the helpful tips and insight. Sorry for the delay in replying, got busy with exams.

We’ll be visiting Turkey from 17th Oct – 31st Oct 2014.

We’re interested in the bottom boat ride over the ruins in Ucagiz/Kekova. I got to know we could only manage that on a boat trip from Kas including Myra and St. Nicks and don’t mind omitting them. It sounds better to do a direct boat ride from Ucagiz as you suggested. Is it possible to show up there and get a boat on the spot or we have to pre-arrange it? Any idea how long would the ride be?

Briefly, this is my itinerary (any/all feedback would be most welcome and appreciated!):

1st: Istanbul arrive. Fly to Antalya. Explore Antalya.

2nd: Duden Falls. Termessos. Antalya?

3rd : Phaselis. Chimera (around sunset). Cirali.

4th: Mt Olympos. Kekova Island/Ucagiz. Kale. Faralay/Butterfly Valley.

5th: Oludeniz. Fethiye. Via bus to Aphrodiasus (maybe). Pammukale/Heirapolis. Denizli.

6th: Konya.

7th: Cappadocia via Beysehir and Sultanhani

8th: South Cappadocia

9th: North Cappadocia

10th: Cappadocia. By bus to Ankara.

11th: Ankara. Istanbul via YHT

12th - 14th: Istanbul

15th: Fly out.

I’m sure its best to do Chimera near dark as you mentioned but still how is it in daytime?

For Day 2, is it better to stay the night at Antalya or Cirali?

Do the days seem balanced especially Day 2, 3, 4? If we could make an extra day, we’ll like to spend it visiting Bursa.

Would it be possible to swim e.g. in Phaselis weather wise?

Is it possible to use public transport to see the sights from Antalya till Fethiye?

Thanks a lot! Bless you!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
304 reviews
7. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

I am not sure from your extensive itinerary where you intend to hire a car and for how long, Antalya to Fethiye from your comment at the end. Although the whole of that journey is possible by bus it seems you would not have the time to fit everything in. ie too much/far on day 4 (Mount Olympos could be visited on day 3). You could do a short boat trip then from Ucagiz which leaves in the morning, maybe explore Simena for an hour and drive to Oludeniz, it really depends who is prepared to take you. Don't expect vast ruins under the sea, you can make out some walls and steps but, not really worth planning a whole day around on such a tight schedule. Likewise Butterfly Valley, what are you expecting to see, there will be no butterflies there in October and access is only by boat. You can get a wonderful view from the top by road at Faralya which I suggest is your best option.

You plan to visit Fethiye, Aphrodisias bus to Pamukkale (3-4 hours) and see the Pamukkale site plus Heiropolis all on that one day? I would have suggested Kayakoy as somewhere to visit in the Fethiye region. The sea is fine for swimming at that time of year, at Cirali and especially Oludeniz beach it is very enjoyable.

You could stay in Antalya or move on to Cirali on the 2nd night, your choice, it takes more than a few hours to explore Antalya. There's no mention of Olympos ruins or Kas, Xanthos and Patara in your itinerary, much more to see than Kekova. There's too much travelling, no real time to visit these wonderful sites and no down time to relax (or eat) in this frantic schedule.

Turkey is not somewhere to be seen on one holiday, it takes years!

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?

Scousemouse, thanks for your feedback. We'll be changing a couple of things in light of your suggestions. You've been most helpful !

Reply to: Sights along the Olympos to Antalya for a self drive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olympos