We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healy lodging ?

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Healy lodging ?

Trying to decide between aspen house or the dome home for our trip next summer. Am not receiving any response from the dome home to my two inquiries via their website which makes me wonder about whether staying here is viable. Reviews look good for the aspen house. Does anyone know if the cabin bathrooms have only a shower or is a tub available?

Thanks

Alaska
Level Contributor
542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healy lodging ?

Dome Home is a wonderful place to stay. Perhaps their website form just isn't working. Why not just try calling them?

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healy lodging ?

Thanks. I did try calling them and was advised to send the inquiry via the website since reception was poor.

Aspen House was very helpful. They do not have tub/shower combinations -- only showers. They recommended Hotel Nord Haven.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healy lodging ?

Both are great places, but different. If you could, tell me more details about what you are looking for and I can make some recommendations. :)

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healy lodging ?

Hmmm -- not wanting to spend an arm and a leg for lodging - so those $250-500 per night properties are out.

Don't need luxury -- but want clean & not worn down. Smoke-free. CLEAN being the operative word here. Also don't like scratchy sheets or thin towels. We would have been on a cruise prior to this and also staying 2 nights in Talkeetna at the Talkeetna Chalet B&B (because it will be my birthday so this is my splurge).

Like the availability of coffee early. Mini-fridge would be nice but we could get by with a cooler for the short time we will be there if needed. Views would be awesome -- especially while having early morning coffee.

Private bathroom - not shared facilities. Definitly need a property that has a bathtub or tub/shower combo -- not just a shower. Seems like most of the "cabins" have only showers.

Basically, don't think we will be spending much time in the actual room - other than sleeping because we will be out and about touring. Am only planning on spending 2 nights.

We will have a rental car.

Any insight on these that are in the toursaver book?

Denali Bluffs Hotel - Denali National Park

Denali Park Resorts - McKinley Chalet or McKinley Village

New Lodge at Black Rapids - In the Heart of the Alaska Range

Princess Alaska Lodges - Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge

Don't really like "tourist conventions" and I think some of the above might be in the "glitter gulch" area.

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healy lodging ?

I have not heard of the Lodge at Black Rapids - nothing in our area - I will have to google that.

All of the others hotels you mentioned (other than McKinley Village) are in Glitter gulch.

I would recommend Denali Lakeview Inn - it has some of the best views in the local area - lake and mtns, has the tub/shower combo and other amenities you would like:

http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/index.htm

Other lodgings in our area can be seen here:

http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Hope this helps! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healy lodging ?

Black Rapids lodge looks great, but is nowhere near Denali Nat'l Park. :)

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healy lodging ?

Thanks coal miner. I will look into it

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
262 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healy lodging ?

We stayed at Denali Lakeview and LOVED it. The view was amazing, it was very peaceful and clean. Our favorite place to stay in Alaska. We got the Alaska room for $20 more and it was well worth it - both it and the HIgh Cloud room are like mini apartments. Only downside is that you have to drive through an area with run down cars to get to it.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Healy lodging ?

If you haven't booked yet, we stayed at Ridgetop Cabins north of Healy last week in the small cabins. Very clean and had coffemakers and mini-fridge in the rooms as well as a continental breakfast included. I wouldn't call the towels and sheets luxurious but they weren't thin or scratchy. Just nice clean middle of the road lodging at reasonable prices with very nice owners. The only downside would be a little extra driving time to get to park

Pictures on their website accurately portray their rooms.

http://www.alaskaone.com/ridgetop/

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Healy lodging ?

Gulfbaygirl - thanks for the info. These cabins look like a possibility. How long would you estimate it takes to drive to the park? Their website describes specactular views -- is it?

I'm narrowing it down to either these cabins or Motel Nord Haven.

Get answers to your questions about Healy
Recent Conversations
More Healy Topics