We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get the bus from Italy

Specchia, Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Get the bus from Italy

Hi guys,

i'm Alex and this is my first topic in TripAdvisor. I'm planning to reach Stampede Trail in June 2013 from the south of Italy. I've already read a lot of informations and get help form site like anchorage.net about how to reach Healy, and how to contact ATV.

But here i would like to get some contacts and some advices about where to stay, equipment and so on.

Thank you all in advance.

Alex

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Would you tell us a bit more about your plans - like are you going solo, how long will you be in Alaska, etc? That would really help. :)

Specchia, Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Hi coalminer thank you for your quick reply. Well, you're right, you need more informations :) so... I'm going solo for sure and the only thing i know is that i'll go in june. So i'm here to plan everything, airport, where to stay, how to get there and so on... So my ear are open, i'll listen all from you :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get the bus from Italy

So - how long do you have for your Alaskan vacation? Will you rent a car? Are you camping or looking for hostels or cabins?

You might check into Condor Air - they offer some reasonable round trip air from Frankfurt Germany to Alaska - summers only. :)

Specchia, Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get the bus from Italy

I think to spend 7-10 days, some days in Anchorage and from there, rent a car, and go to Healy. And once in healy with ATV or some local guides hiking to the bus.

Thank for the air advices, i'll check it. But what about:

1) The best period, considering Tetlalika river

2) How many days i've to spend in Healy?

3) Do u know some local guides to help me?

Thank you again for all you time...

Alex

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Okay . . . I wouldn't recommend going to the Bus at all, but rather spending time in Denali National Park, which is amazing place to explore. I personally don't know of any guides that take people out to the bus, though you could contact a few local ATV places. Here is the info on Denali National Park: http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

Do reserve your car as soon as you have your flight dates - they get very expensive in the summer in Alaska. :)

Edited: 06 August 2012, 22:55
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Get the bus from Italy

And to be sure you take coalminer's advice to heart, car reservations 11 months out can be had for $200-ish/week. At just 6 months out they are $80/day.

I agree with spending more time in Denali. Greater accessibility with less trouble/danger in getting there. Plenty of back country hiking and camping as well as wildlife viewing if that's what you are looking for.

Specchia, Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Hi Coalminer and Alaskantiger,

i appreciate so much your advices and i'll rent car as soon as possible :), as i see it's very expensive!

About Denali National Park, i'll check the Park site and try to arrange some visits all around, but the bus for me is a priority. It's not only about the bus, but it's something more special, connected with the spirit of Chris experience.

So i've found this site http://lfadventureclub.com/, do you know them?

Really there're nobody that can bring me there :( ?

Thank you guys

Alex

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Your link didn't work, so I couldn't check them out. Most Alaskans have an entirely different view of the Bus and Chris's experience and many people who try to get to the bus run into some very dangerous problems, so we locals don't encourage going.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 15:48
Specchia, Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Hi Coalminer here is the right link http://lfadventureclub.com/.

I've read a lot about Bus and what Alaskans think about, but there are also some Alaskans that respect Chris's Story and made also a site for.

Here some links:

http://lfadventureclub.com/

http://www.stampedetrail.info

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Get the bus from Italy

Be sure to include a side trip to Kaflia Bay where Timothy Treadwell was mauled to death by bears.......you can experience a "special connection with the spirit" of another foolhardy person.........

Get answers to your questions about Healy
Recent Conversations
More Healy Topics