We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sub shops in Healy

4 posts
Sub shops in Healy

Thinking ahead for our all day Denali bus tour, i was wondering if there are any sub shops or places we can get sandwiches and snacks to take with us? Or should we stop before Healy and pick up groceries? We are driving and have a car to get around.

8 replies to this topic
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Sub shops in Healy

I would pick up supplies in whichever major city you will be leaving from (Anchorage/Fairbanks) there is also a grocery in Talkeetna and Wasilla. You can get a sub at Subway near the park entrance. There is a grocery in Healy called Mountain View but selection can be limited and more expensive than other areas, Most of the Chevron Stations have expanded a bit and carry a bit more than basic convenience store options. I would pack a cooler with food bought in one of the towns I mention and then supplement with what you can get in the area.

Arizona
Level Contributor
288 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Sub shops in Healy

We stopped at the Black Bear, which is not too far from the park entrance. They open at 6 am and had pre-made sandwiches to go that we got for the Denali shuttle. We already had a bunch of snacks with us from stopping at the grocery store in Wasilla the day before.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,109 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Sub shops in Healy

Much cheaper if you pick up some basic food/snacks before arriving in the Denali area as mentioned. Healy does have a deli at Miners Market and I believe Fishers fuel sells some food - not much at Mountian View. Denali area has an actual Subway and they are open 24 hrs. As well, many of the restaurants in the area do have lunches for purchase to take with on the shuttle bus. :)

4 posts
4. Re: Sub shops in Healy

Thank you. Your information is appreciated.

4 posts
5. Re: Sub shops in Healy

Thanks great information. I was actually wondering if anything was open 24 hours. We will be getting off our tour about 11 p.m. and I am sure my gang will be hungry.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,109 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Sub shops in Healy

There are some places open pretty late in the canyon - not sure about Prospectors pizza but Salmon Bake is open late - all restaurants have websites, so you can check their hours.

Not sure where you are staying but there are also a few food trucks open late as well. :)

Edited: 01 April 2017, 22:03
4 posts
7. Re: Sub shops in Healy

Staying at the White Moose Lodge. Thanks for the info. I'll check out websites as you suggested.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,111 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Sub shops in Healy

White Moose is almost right across the street from one of my favorite restaurants in the area - 49th State Brewery.

Edited: 02 April 2017, 01:21
Reply to: Sub shops in Healy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Healy
Recent Conversations
More Healy Topics