We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter hire

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Scooter hire

Hi there,

We are travelling over early December. We haven't ridden scooters before and have heard the roads there can be dangerous. Are they ? Any suggestions on who to hire through?

Kerryn Arnold

Melbourne Australia

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter hire

Can the road be dangerous? No. They ARE dangerous. Please use the search feature and find other posts about riding scooters. You will find about 90% against. Chuck...

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter hire

Hi Kerry

Chuck is quite right. The roads are dangerous, accidents frequent and fatalities have occurred. Do search - you'll find lots of discussions over the years on this subject. This is one link to start you off.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309713-i2628-k466…

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter hire

Sorry Kerry

Silly me gave you a link to this thread. I'm an idiot! Try this one instead.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309713-i2628-k415…

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
554 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter hire

Hi,

Surely riding a scooter in Raro cant be any more dangerous than Cambodia or Vietnam?

I'm no Casey Stoner but is it really any worse than the aforementioned? Ive had no serious concerns riding in either of these countries.

The prior link to a serious head injury accident requiring evacuation - were they wearing a helmet?

We're going in Nov. and have full intent on scootering about, its a great way to travel.

Caution and confidence, in equal parts, has done us well so far....

cheers

R

Edited: 21 July 2011, 11:18
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter hire

Roger: None of us want anybody to get hurt, and riding a scooter in Raro is a real good way to get hurt and ruin your vacation. We are not talking about comparisons to Vietnam or Cambodia or anyplace else. That's just silly. We are talking about being on vacation in Raro, getting hurt riding a scooter and ruining your trip. The chances are very high that you WILL get hurt. You haven't even been there so you have no idea of the dangers. Wait until you have experienced the situation before you comment on it. Thanks. Chuck...

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
554 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter hire

Hi Chuck,

Have you ever ridden in these other countries? Many say the traffic is crazy. I was merely trying to make a reasonable comparison, not silly at all.

Nor was I making comment on the Raro traffic - I was asking.

Maybe you can provide some balanced advice instead of just flaming people?

cheers

R

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter hire

Hi Roger,

We've ridden scooters in both Cambodia & Rarotonga (Vietnam was way too crazy for us. I even had problems crossing the road here on foot) & there is no comparison between the two countries. We found Siem Reap (the only part of Cambodia we have visited) to be frantically busy & dusty, but generally the roads were in fair order & the only problem was keeping up with the traffic.

Raro is entirely different - the atmosphere is way more relaxed - to me this tended to result in a false sense of security, the roads have pot holes to dodge (didn't find this in Siem Reap) & worse still dogs, that either decide to run out in front of you or lie down on the road. You will also have the odd chicken to contend with.

I agree, in Raro, stick with the bus or hire a car.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter hire

No, rrog, only driven a scooter in Raro, never in SouthEast Asia recently, although I drove quite a bit in Vietnam in 1967-1968, and I have 46 years experience driving motorcycles and scooters in the States, Canada and Mexico. Like Fernsie said, it isn't the traffic in Raro, it is the not so good roads, dogs darting out from under bushes and the false sense of security that the island life will instill upon you.

And no, you were not making a comment on Raro traffic, but to try to compare traffic conditions from different countries, you should experience the conditions. Take care, and PLEASE stay off scooters on Raro for your safety. Thanks. Chuck...

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
554 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter hire

Thanks Fernsie,

Sounds something like a a cross between Samoa and Phu Quoc. (using my own framework of experience again) - which was all a doddle compared to what I've been in elsewhere.

Yes I found in Phu Quoc, the sun , the wide brown roads, the country air and the warm breeze made you very laid back - but we're back in one piece. I can ride - I'm not a giggly 'lets get a scooter that might be fun' tourist idiot. And, importantly, I have to consider my responsibility for J-she as a pillion.

I'll assess the road conditions when we get there. Hard from afar to really make a reasonable judgement from the histrionics and hyperbole posted here.

If the bus works for us it might be cheaper and easier in any case. Though I do like the wind in my face......

btw They don't hire scooters to tourists in Siem Reap anymore - too dangerous apparently ! - having some of the best roads in Cambodia just makes them all go faster. lol

thanks Fernsie for your reasoned response.

cheers

R

Edited: 22 July 2011, 23:16
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooter hire

"histrionics and hyperbole posted here". Interesting comment. Kinda sad that when you don't agree with something posted, something that you don't want to hear, you resort to an insult. And all we want is for you to be safe and not get hurt. I certainly hope the kerry is more on the ball. Oh, well. Chuck...

Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga