We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Living

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Island
1 post
Save Topic
Cost of Living

Kia ora,

I am contemplating a move to Rarotonga for work. I have been trying to find information on the cost of living especially for renting a 2 bedroom house, electricity and food etc but haven't been able to find anything up to date.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Cheers (from NZ)

Auckland
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Living

Hi there, you could talk to Eddie at Rent Raro. I know they do short term holiday rentals but not sure about the long term. Good place to start though. he will point you in the right direction.

www.rentraro.com

We have always found that the food can be similar to NZ prices but maybe shopping at the local dairy. Some things are a lot more expensive and some are cheaper. Probably cheaper to drink beer than milk. One of the locals girls will probably respond re the power etc. Good luck going there to work. That would be my kind of life.

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Living

Kia Orana

What you are asking falls into the 'too-hard' basket. In all honesty, you need a very good friend representing you here in the Cooks to get things done if you are thinking of moving here.

The old adage 'it's not what you know but who you know' was first penned by a Cook islander!!! Trust me on this one.

If you wish to pursue this then I believe you should Google - Cook Island Government and choose the official CI Gov site. There will be links to the immigration department for a start.

Kia Manuia and Good Luck

BB

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,095 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Living

Kia Ora Heuer from Whangarei,

I hope some of my response will assist - I'm just back off the rock, and live between both the Cook Is and NZ.

Rental properties - currently advertised furnished 2 br around $195.00 per week, near to town - long term.

Numerous long term rentals available - C Is News is best source - no letting fee, and you really want to view the properties yourselves to determine what best suits your needs.

Domestic electricity in Raro - around 89 cents per unit - compare that with NZ where there is considerable competition and renewable energy on offer.

Food prices! - the big ticket item on every locals lips - expect to pay more than here in NZ by at least 30% to cover freight costs across all purchases, where the goods are derived from NZ. Purchase local fresh fruits, veg, and eggs when available. Also Manea Foods imports products from Indonesia.

Enjoy the experience of "living differently" like the current tourism moniker says - its an expereince you will never ever regret/forget, and if the opportunity is available, go for it. You'll have enormous fun and lasting memories of all the people you meet.

Ka kite.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Living

Hi Mate,

We are expats living here, just moved here last year and have heaps of good advice from the "moving" aspect side of things and potential work here etc, email us direct via a personal message and we can chat via emails.

5. Re: Cost of Living

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 07:23