We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

Hi,

I'm heading to Tahiti for my honeymoon in two weeks! I'd like to hit up the surf while I'm out there. Teahupoo is out of the question, as I just started a year and a half ago. I wouldn't mind getting over there to check out the spot though, if anyone knows of a good way to get there.

But is there any surfing on Moorea or Bora Bora? I'll be there 3 days each. I'll also be in Papeete for one day, so if there are any spots near the city, I might be able to swing it. Also, are there board rentals? I don't want to lug my board over there.

Oh, also, I should mention that I'm staying at the Hilton on all islands. If nothing is close, I can take an excursion if they offer them.

Thanks

Edited: 06 March 2012, 03:31
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

Heya,

I'm also looking at Tahiti for surfing honeymoon. Did you have any luck? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

Moorea actually has some spots, but they are pretty far out, you'd have to take a boat. Tahiti had one near our hotel, but also pretty far out. The all break on the outer reefs. The one in Tahiti I could have probably paddled out to, although would have been a long paddle, where are you staying?

I also found a flyer for this bed and breakfast, I think this is it, and they do surf trips

facebook.com/pages/…274328305944627

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

On the southwest coast of Moorea, Ha’apiti is a long left that breaks about a mile from shore on the south side of a reef pass that is the only outlet for a tremendous amount of water escaping the lagoon. There is a lot of energy pouring over the reef at Ha’apiti going both ways and it’s considered one of the best left reefs in the Society Islands.

This is usually where I see the surfers. In any case unless you are staying at the Haapiti surf lodge you do need a car from the resorts to get to this area.

Regards Bo

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

Ia orana surfer dudes and Dudettes

Moorea Sufspot wannasurf.com/spot/…

meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

The Haapiti pass would appear to be the "easiest" Temae point is more on the Kamikaze setion surfing right at the edge of the reef.

Check on the same website for Bora Bora

Meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

I hope that you will enjoy some surfing in the 84F degree waters of FP. please come back and report on TA .

meherio

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

Great, thanks for all the advice. Will update if we decide to go to tahiti.

8. Re: Surfing on Bora Bora or Moorea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 10:17