We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in Tahiti

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling in Tahiti

I am considering planning a vacation in Tahiti. I would love to bring my bicycle and ride at least 50 km everyday. Which islands are best for cycling? Is it practical to plan a Tahiti vacation that includes cycling?

5 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
807 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in Tahiti

I'm a cycling enthusiast, but other than possibly a casual 10k ride with my wife, it's nowhere on my list of possible activities for our trip later this year. In the first place, from what I recall of previous trips to Moorea and Bora Bora, the perimeter roads around the islands are not in the best of shape. And secondly, the perimeter road is pretty much the only road on many islands, so it's used by trucks, cars, scooters, etc....and not very bicycle friendly. I'd rather spend precious vacation time focusing on the reasons/activities that draw us to French Polynesia in the first place.

rz3
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in Tahiti

I don't recommend riding a scooter, much less a bike, on Moorea. My wife and I walked from the IC Moorea to Les Tipaniers and had to stay wide of the road as much as possible to ensure we weren't hit.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in Tahiti

We were there in October. We rode bikes on Raiatea, Bora Bora and Moorea. We were on Huahine too but didn't ride there. Lots of bikes to be seen - mostly kids and all of them popping wheelies. The only island that is really safe to ride on is Moorea as they've just repaved the road and included bike lanes in many (but not all) stretches. 62km to ride around Moorea. I wouldn't suggest riding on Huahine as the traffic drives way too fast for it to be safe for cyclists. I loved riding on Bora Bora but it's only 30km to ride around the whole island, and no shoulder. We only rode a short stretch on Raiatea so I can't speak for the whole island but it looked like a nice ride - no shoulder though. And yes, the pavement isn't great. If you are on a road bike it will be bumpy. Hybrid or mountain bike wheels will be fine.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling in Tahiti

I looked in to this on Bora Bora and found too many reviews that talked about being chased by feral dogs to make it sound appealing.

Black Forest, Co.
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling in Tahiti

Anyone know if you can rent bicycles on Tahiti specifically? What company/store?

Reply to: Cycling in Tahiti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted