We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

Southern California
Level Contributor
30 posts
40 reviews
Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

Help please! Going from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez. Hotel gave quote for private driver for my husband and me as over $300. Seems steep/expensive?!? Was told flying is nice, but you have to go thru San Jose; hotel says flights from Quepos to SJO are unreliable.

Considered taking shuttle to SJO and then getting flight to PJ, but that seems as if that will take just as long, if not longer, than going with private driver option.

Just want a reliable, safe, and ideally, relatively comfortable and affordable way to get between these two places.

Anyone have experience with this route and can give an opinion? Thanks.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
73 reviews
21. Re: Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

Sorry just now seeing this because we really like our solution since it avoids any getting to the ferry in Golfito and the trip across-- my wife handles car ferry rides just fine but she does NOT like bumpy rides in the smaller boats used for Golfito to PJ across sometimes choppy seas.. We have used services of Alex Chinchilla at

ShuttleSierpe@hotmail.com.

, cell 506 8344 6320 ;

Home 506 2787 6042

Which is Shuttle van / BUS combo on six trips from Manuel Antonio / Quepos and Alex is very reliable with good email communication in Spanish. We then use Google translate to send him to see what he replies . Email him for pricing.

Pickup is around 7:30 at your hostel in MA , then drops us off in downtown shopping street in Palmar Norte just in time to catch the Puerto Jimenez bound bus coming from San Jose. Never have had to wait more than 15-20 minutes at the long bench at the connection . I usually go inside the bakery there and pay to use their toilet. Pay fare to bus driver. Arrive in PJ around noon. Get taxi or walk to our hotel. Nice comfortable bus.

FWIW The last two years we broke the trip up with stopover stay at Tucan Hotel in Uvita, then picked up by Shuttle Sierpe same regular shuttle to make connection with bus in Palmar Norte.

We always leave PJ by taking the nice bus to San Jose.

London, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
22. Re: Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

Hi,

Thought I would report back on the Tropica bus! Loved it. A great way to get down the coast to Puerto jiminez. (via Golfito) Would recommend.

Manuel Antonio / Quepos -> PJ

Buy ticket from Bus terminal in Quepos the day before. (not too expensive) Make sure you know the time of the bus, I think it was around 9:30am (although departs SJ much earlier). The bus stop for Tropica is opposite the hospital outside of town on the main road. I waited and waited, and almost lost hope. But the Bus eventually turned up 45 mins late. It then went on down the coast, all the way to Golfito, with the odd stop on the way. I got off in Golfito – bus stop by the shoreline. In the centre of town (not the last stop).

Walked onto the pier, bought a ticket to PJ from the kiosk, just a couple of women sat around a desk in the open air. Waited 20 mins and jumped on the boat, bit bumpy, but a great way to travel… more life jackets than people! And arrived at PJ pier.

PJ – MA /Quepos (actually was heading to Jaco – but same route)

Wasn’t sure about this. I realised that I would be changing bus and provider and was a little worried. But I got the first bus of the morning (via a stop at the PJ bakery for supplies) to SJ. But I only went as far as Palmar Sur. The bus was a public bus, and it felt like it was stopping every 20 yards at times picking people up… but it stuck to time. Arrived in Palmar Sur, unsure what to do. And then I was directed around the block to the Tropica office. RESULT. (ask the driver for directions as you get off – he’ll send you the right way. But literally 4mins walk.) At the Tropica booth it was literally 10mins before the next Tropica bus heading north was due. So bought my ticket there and jumped straight on. And it went north stopping just a couple of times, at the main towns (including the hospital outside Quepos), all the way to Jaco. Palmar Sur -> Jaco was about 3 hours. Great timing – but just make sure you move from the public bus to Tropica swiftly.

Note re: Tropica – you actually have seated numbers, so try and use them. But sometimes people are sat anywhere.

Travelled - April 16

Edited: 09 August 2016, 15:13
London, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
23. Re: Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

***** Error - should be Palmar Norte *****

(not Sur)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,958 posts
23 reviews
24. Re: Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

Minor correction: I believe the bus line is Tracopa - not Tropica. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

25. Re: Most reliable way from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2017, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Jimenez
Recent Conversations