We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Hi,

We are a family of 4 planning to visit Costa Rica for spring break 2016 (I know it will be busy, but that's when we can take the time off). Kids will be ages 8 and 6 when we take the trip. We're eager to take the kids somewhere a bit off the beaten path, but still relatively kid friendly. Our kids like nature and are pretty easy travelers. All three of these places sound appealing and I've seen positive TA reviews from families with young kids for each of the properties. Any insights? It seems that the prices, in the end, would not be that different (as we'd get one of the larger family casitas at Iguana Lodge). I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts or feedback that may be relevant. Thanks!

Amy

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Iguana Lodge puts the Golfo Dulce at your doorstep which I'm sure the kids would enjoy. Both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo will have more wildlife and trails onsite - you can't go wrong with either choice. Best option IMO for your family might be to split time between the Iguana Lodge and Lapa Rios/Bosque del Cabo, assuming you have at least 4 nites for the rainforest and 2 nights for the beach.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Lapa Rios is about twice as expensive as Bosque del Cabo or Iguana Lodge.

One fairly common practice (we did this) is to split time between Iguana Lodge and Bosque del Cabo. Iguana Lodge is right on the water, and offers better access to water-oriented tours (boating, kayaking, etc). Bosque del Cabo offers extensive hiking trails with superior wildlife that can easily occupy several days staying there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Lapa Rios…simple the best around!

roadadvisor

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
161 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Lapa Rios - no doubt. Not only will you have the vacation of a lifetime but your kids will learn so much. There is nothing like Lapa Rios and it is well worth the price

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Totally agree with Andrew…maybe a little more than some funny places around…but worth it every penny…LA PA RIOS the best around…

roadadvsior

colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

I also put in the vote for Lapa Rios, a jungle lodge built into a side of the jungle overlooking the ocean. Many nature hikes, the kids especially like the night nature hike. You can walk to the beach in 10 minutes, take surf, kayak, ride horses, bird watching and see monkeys all day long!! The guides go out of their way to find sloths for you:)

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

Hi am the owner of Iguana Lodge. All the places you have listed are great places. All three places are distinct for the family experience. Lapa Rios is a great place but I have always felt a bit more formal. I am not sure about the 10 minute walk to the beach, I feel like it is little further but they have great views. Bosque del Cabo is equally great but I feel is a more family oriented. Beach access again is a bit of a walk but they make up with it fabulous grounds and great set up. Very comfortable to walk around. I am biased obviously about Iguana. We are the only one right on the beach. And our beach is all sand and incredible. We are very kid friendly with boogie boards, lots of board games, not to mention our kid friendly staff who often bring their kids to work.

Tough choice but any of these places will be a great choice.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,870 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

One year too late, Toby, but useful for others that are contemplating the visit to Puerto Jimenez side of Osa peninsula. Agree, there is no way one can reach any beach within 10 minutes walking from Lapa Rios. And while the beach is almost there at BdC, it is about 50 meters of level difference to be negotiated there ... and back.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

We ran into one family who had hiked down to the beach from Bosque del Cabo, and in the process of trying to find their way back wound up hiking to El Remanso.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Trip - Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, or Iguana Lodge?

We are in the midst of planning a trip so this thread is helpful for me, even if it's a bit long in the tooth ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula
Recent Conversations