We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

Longwood, Florida...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

I am spending 2 days at Arenal and then traveling to Manuel Antonio and would like to stop at Monteverde. I would like to know is it worth going to Monteverde from Arenal and spend one night/day on my way to Manuel Antonio?

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

The usual reply is NO. But then, the drive up the mountain and back to the sea level is gorgeous with views, although rough and bumpy for last 30 min. If weather will cooperate you might have a nice afternoon and then take a hike at one of the cloud forest reserve before leaving for MA.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

1 night is better than 0 nights

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

Keep in mind that it's a 3+ hour drive to Monteverde - and not an easy drive either. And then a four hour drive the next day to Manuel Antonio. So really, it's up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Longwood, Florida...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

So I mapped out a route on google map. Either way I way thinking to drive to Manuel Antonio north on route 142 around Lake Arenal then go west/south taking Highway 1 . Or avoid that route and go back route 702 south to highway 1? I am traveling mid June and was wondering if I should book hotels in advance or find hotels as I go since I will be depended on weather?

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Lake Arenal
Lake Arenal
1,647 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

You would be better off to use this: www.yourtravelmap.com for distances, travel times and directions. Much more accurate than Google maps.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,453 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

For me, it's not worth it. I wouldn't go unless you could spend two nights in Monteverde. The road to get there is kind of a pain, long and bumpy.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
7. Re: Is spending one night at Monteverde worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...