We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Silencio Trail/Hike

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
38 helpful votes
El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

I tried searching for information about the El Silencio Trail/Hike that I keep reading about, but i have come up short ....Can anyone please tell me where this trail is??

Thank you!!

Washington
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

This is what I found: about 15km west of La Fortuna, the entrance is on the left side with a parking lot at the side of the road, with a big sign that reads "El Silencio"

from: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Caribbean_and_Central_America/Costa_Rica/Provincia_de_Alajuela/Fortuna-1649998/Things_To_Do-Fortuna-BR-1.html

Also tours are offered:

http://www.arenalmanoa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=26

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,344 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

El Silencio is a nice old lava float...the main entrance is located at the main road from La Fortuna to Tabacon...at your left hand side is a "small" sign...you have two options...park your car and pay your fee...or just pay the fee and drive all the way up...if you notice the little picture of my car by the volcano in my profile...that picture is at El Silencio...nice close volcano views...and also a nice view of the Green Lagoon!

No more than 20 minutes by car from La Fortuna...even less!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

So....in relation to other hotels, besides Tabacon, (we are staying at the Volcano Lodge) and visiting AOL, where would this hike be near? Can we take a taxi there? Is it conveniently located to anything else??

Thank you!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,344 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

No more than 5 minutes from Volcano Lodge in the way to Tabacon or AOL...

Is really in middle of nowhere...the only other place around will be El Novillo restaurant about 4 minutes from Tabacon Hotel main entrance...

El Novillo by the way...good costarican steak house...they mostly serve sirloin...good flavor...good prices...and if the volcano is clear at night you can easily have a great lava show!

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

Sweet!! Thank you for the info regarding this trail. About how long would you give yourself to do the hike and check out the views?

Thanks!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,344 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

It all depends how good of hiker you are...but maybe 30 minutes? And stay there for about 1 hour...be sure to get a close view of blue laguna a little bit to the left...and you will hear a lot of barking at the distance...is not barking...those are howler monkies!

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

My husband and I are in our early 30's and tend to do some hiking now and again.... :)

If we were going to go to the AOL, El Silencio Hike & The Arenal National Park in the same day, does that seem like too much?? Or should we do one another day?? And, if we could only fit in (or it was advised to do only 2) 2 of those 3, which one would you take out of the equation?

Thanks!!

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
38 helpful votes
8. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

Is this a good hike to do around sunset? Or are there any sunset hikes in the area you would recommend??

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
125 posts
9. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

We have enjoyed being up at AOL on the public deck for sunset watching the sky over Arenal Lake.

Hummelstown, PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
10. Re: El Silencio Trail/Hike
Save

We really liked el silencio. Once you get to your hotel they'll be able to tell you where it is, there's lots of maps floating around. We rented bikes for the day and biked there. If you go the best way to see animals is to go slow. We saw monkeys playing in the trees, and a beautiful view of the volcano, but just take your time or you'll miss things.

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.