We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal Observatory Lodge

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
58 reviews
27 helpful votes
Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

We have booked the lodge for our 4 night, 3 day stay in the area. We will have a car so transportation is not a problem. I'm just checking to make sure that our time there will be restful. We don't know how much noise the volcano makes but want to make sure we get some rest. Are we crazy for staying there or will we find this an incredible experience?

Selvita Lodge Arenal
Selvita Lodge Arenal
#12 of 68 B&Bs / Inns in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Tropico Monteverde Hotel
Tropico Monteverde Hotel
#2 of 52 Speciality lodging in Santa Elena
Finca Luna Nueva Lodge
Finca Luna Nueva Lodge
#1 of 4 Speciality lodging in Chachagua
USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
1. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

A week from now, I'll be starting my second night there. I'll let you know!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
51 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

It is sort of a remote eco camp experience a number

of miles up an unpaved hard pot-holed very rattly road

if you are up for that.Close to the volcano and pretty

far from town noise not really a problem..For me a night or two would be the max.Was there a couple of weeks ago they charged admission just to go up to the lodge and eat thought that was pretty wierd.Seem to have gotten too commercial since the last time I was there.Prefer Silencio Del Campo in the same general range better located.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
154 reviews
130 helpful votes
3. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

You'll sleep fine up there. It's a great, great location, and you don't hear the volcano inside your room.

It's not that loud outside either--the main sound is boulders tumbling down the volcano.

The only drawback is the food they serve at dinner--eat in town if you can.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
92 posts
44 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

We stayed there is June. The location is great; the view is perfect. Not noisy. The pool/hot tub are very nice. Be sure to take the included morning hike as the property is beautiful. We saw lots on animals on their property. However....the food is awful. Breakfast is OK; just eat dinner in town or we ate lunch in town and brought take-out (arroz con pollo) back for dinner. We saw the volcano erupt our second night at 4AM and it was worth it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

The road is definitely horrible driving up to the lodge.

I ate a meal at the restaurant there and thought it was pretty good.

Definitely take the 15 minute hike to the waterfall near the lodge. It was worth it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,344 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

Volcano noise...not a problem...but 4 nights there...you are brave people...!! The food is the worst miles around...I will be more concern about the food than the volcano!!

But it will be an a incredible experience!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
58 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

It's settled. We will have a wonderful time at AOL and eat at other places. Thanks everyone.

Naranjo, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
570 posts
31 reviews
69 helpful votes
8. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

Roadadvisor,

There's nothing wrong with the food at Arenal Observatory. Ours was quite good, and the candlelight dining room at night was really nice.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
154 reviews
130 helpful votes
9. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

I'd say the breakfast is good, the lunch is decent, and dinner--well that's what evening slots at the thermal baths are for.

Maybe it's just hit or miss, but the dinners we had were awful--my chicken curry tasted like Velveeta, my wife's chicken parm tasted like Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, and the cheesecake was square and yucky.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,344 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
10. Re: Arenal Observatory Lodge
Save

SHOOIE123.

Some times people had different taste for food and service...sorry that this time I do not agree with you or the other way around...

Try Don Rufino's in La Fortuna...that is good food in Arenal Area...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.