We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?

Emeryville, CA
Level Contributor
298 posts
22 reviews
7 helpful votes
Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

Read on some people's posts that it is about 10 miles away from La Fortuna, it is a rescue center for wild animals, founded by a retired vet. National Geography supposedly did a program about this institution.

There's no information on how to get there for a day visit on the website. Has anyone been there before?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
12 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

I haven't been, but am going in March in a day long tour offered by Desafio. The tour includes some other interesting things as well and you can find it on their website. I'll be sure to post back about it when I return.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
475 posts
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

Funny you ask... I just ran across the Desafio option and then I contacted them directly and they'd love our help. My 15 year old is interested in doing this as a service project.

Milwaukee
8 posts
1 review
3. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

I actually just did the tour with Desafio to Proyecto Asis last month. It was one of 3 stops on the tour. First we went to a small community where a group of women made hand-made, recycled paper. Then to proyecto asis where we were able to walk around and help out where was needed for the day. After that, we went to a pretty amazing organic farm called Luna Nueva. I would highly recommend this tour. Greg was the one who helped us with the reservation at Desafio... and I´m sure he´d be able to help you with more information.

Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
12 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

Thank you languagelearner. You're the first person I've seen who has taken that tour. I'm really looking forward to it.

Glastonbury, CT
1 post
5. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

Hi,

Have you been on your trip yet? My daughter is looking for a place to volunteer in Costa Rica and I came upon this site...Proyecto Asis.

Could you tell me if you were happy with the facilities, etc? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks so much,

Judy Rice

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
12 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

We enjoyed the tour with Desafio which was a combo of Proyecto Asis, a women's co-op and Nuevo Arenal organic farm. The rescue center itself did not have many animals. A few monkeys, racoons and kinkajou. That said, the facilities were fine, it appeared the volunteer probably stayed in the main house, as that's all I saw there and she seemed happy. The swamp around was really pretty with tons of spoon-billed herons and caimans.

Other places I've been that I'd recommend she looks into are Avrios del Caribe, which is a sloth rescue center and very nice and Fundacion Santuario Silvestre de Osa, which houses many animals for release as well as ones not releasable. There's also Las Pumas and the Green Iguana Project and various turtle projects.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

I returned recently from a 10-day volunteer and cultural immersion trip centered through Proyecto Asis. My daughter and I did this trip as part of a university alumni group, and it was a great experience for both of us.

Projecto Asis (www.institutoasis.com)is a animal rescue center that runs programs for Spanish language learning, volunteerism, and culturual immersion. The 10-day program is pretty busy. We spent time volunteering at the reserve, as well as visiting and volunteering at the Eternal Rainforest of the Children; several hours of Spanish lessons, volunteered at the local church We also visited the program where the women make recycled paper products, a local school, and a senior citizen home. We also visited La Fortuna, Ciudad Quesada, Baldi Hot Springs and went white water rafting.

The program includes staying in the home of a local family, eating most meals at the home.

This program is very unique and the director is an absolutely wonderful man very devoted to the project.

I am happy to answer more questions.

usa
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

I am planning on visiting Proyecto Asis on my way to Arenal in April. I am a nurse and school teacher, and plan to fund raise for both the animal reserve and local nearby school during the first semester with my students at the high school where I teach. My family plans to volunteer at the center for a portion of our first day in Costa Rica. I have contacted the director and she penciled in our visit. Glad to hear from others who have visited.

chicago
6 posts
9. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?
Save

I would recommend going with Proyecto Asís – there website is www.institutoasis.com – they have an Animal Rescue Center and do a lot of environmental education programs with local children.

The homestay families are really nice and Proyecto Asís is close to La Fortuna – you get a real, authentic experience and because you are living with a local family, it encourages you to use your Spanish skills.

I loved it there and the Director Alvaro is really sweet and very resourceful. He got me signed up to do some adventure activities with Desafío Adventure Company and that was great, too!

I’ll learned a lot! I’m convincing my little sister to get a groups of her college friends together to stay there this summer.”

Pura vida!

10. Re: Anyone been to Proyecto Asis?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.