We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation around La Fortuna

3 posts
transportation around La Fortuna
Save

Our family of 6 is coming in April. We fly into Liberia, we have a shuttle arranged to Los Lagos, where we're staying 2 nights. We're then staying 2 nights at Tabacon before heading to the Westin in Guanacaste for 3 nights. My husband doesn't want to rent a car--for 6 of us, there aren't many cheap options and he doesn't want the stress of driving longer distances in a place we've never been. But I'm worried about getting around--like changing hotels in La Fortuna, or trying to go out to eat in La Fortuna (once we get to the Westin, we'll stay there). What kinds of transportation options are there within the La Fortuna area? What are your recommendations? (I did look into renting a car just while we're in La Fortuna, but there's nothing for 6 people.) Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
75 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

You'll be taking taxis. Some of them are vans. The worst case scenario is that you will have to divide into two groups for local transfers. If you're booking an activity that comes with transportation they will have a large enough vehicle.

If it was me, I would exhaust every car rental option. If you messaged a company, they may have something available that's not on the website. I know that the offices in La Fortuna may be closed but at least one agency, Adobe, will drop off from their closest office, in Ciudad Quesada.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
18,710 posts
70 reviews
180 helpful votes
2. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

Catherine, Some attractions can add transportation costs to the price of their admission tickets at the time of you booking. E.g., Mistico bridges, which currently require online ticket purchase prior to getting to them (https://www.misticopark.com), if you go to book self-guided entrance tickets, for ex., will have an option to price transportation from your hotel to them. For 6 ppl, it will not be inexpensive, as it will be per person.

If looking more into renting a car, as you might know, children under 12 are required to be in child / booster seats in vehicles in CR, which might determine what car type you will need. (I am assuming you are traveling with children, since you are staying in Los Lagos.) For changing hotels in Arenal area and from Arenal to Conchal, I would ask all 3 hotels and get quotes on their transportation options to get from them and to them, then choose. Don't pay now, but when at the destination, you will be able to decide to do taxis or one the hotel transfers you researched. There is "How to Get around" section here, for La Fortuna, which you might want to read - https://mytanfeet.com/cities-costa-rica/la-fortuna-de-san-carlos-a-real-fortune-in-nature/ .

United States
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
291 reviews
508 helpful votes
3. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

Sounds like taxis in La Fortuna...they are expensive but lots of Vans around and if you find one you like you can get the direct number of that one.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
27 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

I understand the "second thoughts" on car renting. We had that too. Never been there, no Spanish, road signs, road conditions etc. We had "input" from another couple who had just ben to CR with a car rental. Their experience ( all good) relived us. "The roads were fine". "road signs not so hot, but with a map you can do it" " You are able to communicate Spanish or not, their English is better than our Spanish".

Cannot address "never been there". I had that feeling too, but it quickly disappeared, In the areas you mention the roads are all paved and these days with WAZE ( and a map. I would still use a map) you'll be fine.

The Nationals you will encounter are helpful and friendly.

So. If you can get a rental to house your 6 I'd consider it. Having your own wheels is convenient. Even only in a Fortuna since the attractions are spread out

Edited: 03 March 2021, 14:58
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
44 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

Hi, we will have 5 people with the same concerns. We decided to rent once we get to La Fortuna. Alamo had 7 seaters advertised which would be cheaper for us than two taxis everywhere. Our hotel said they would do a hotel drop off and pick up too. The roads around there really aren't bad.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
18,710 posts
70 reviews
180 helpful votes
6. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

Catherine, If you decide to look further into car rentals in CR (we choose not to do it there), make sure you read the Car Rental thread under the Top Qns about CR on the main forum - https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k12179446-Car_Rentals_The_Ultimate_Guide-Costa_Rica.html#96887141 .

3 posts
7. Re: transportation around La Fortuna
Save

Thank you, everyone! extremely helpful information!

Reply to: transportation around La Fortuna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.