We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

home
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
Itinerary
Save

We will be flying into San Jose then going to La Fortuna would like to Stop halfway any suggestions where to stay and what town thank you

10 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
62 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary
Save

It's only about a three hour drive. We've never stopped for anything other than a quick meal. You'd want to be able to keep your eyes on the vehicle during any stop, since it will have all your belongings in it. What time are you landing?

home
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary
Save

We land at 11 AM not sure how long it will take to get through customs and then the rental car so we thought we would just drive halfway and stop and get a hotel

United States
Level Contributor
117 posts
3. Re: Itinerary
Save

Honestly that makes no sense...11AM...get car ...start driving maybe 12:00 to 1:00 and arrive about 4:30 give or take which should be a normal time for check in. We did take a nice road around the lake (a detour off the main drag) that provided some great views but really just drive to your hotel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,345 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary
Save

From SJO that is in Alajuela not in San Jose...once you hit the road. Pan Am Hwy to San Ramon about 45 minutes then to La Foruna about 2 hours,,,minutes mor minutes less...

If you leave SJO at around by 1PM...you will easily be in La Fortun at 4Pm or so...the road is in great shape

roadadvsiro

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
62 reviews
14 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary
Save

Yup, you're lucky to land at 11. That allows you to make it there without rushing at all.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
18,188 posts
70 reviews
180 helpful votes
6. Re: Itinerary
Save

cj1010, Re the time to exit the airport, get to the car rental office, check the vehicle and the paperwork and when to expect to be on the Rd toward Arenal/La Fortuna Area - check the recent post from the TA member re the immigration line at SJO - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k13469163-SJO_backed_up_immigration_Jan_20-Costa_Rica.html . Have Plan B, as you might be out fast (land at 11 and "start driving at 12"?), or not.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,345 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Itinerary
Save

I go to SJO and LIR ery often...if all your travel documents are OK...you can wspend maybe from 30 to 40 minutes ...at least that is what Im seeing...yesterday was only 30 minutes to clear customd etc, for a family of 8 !!

That may give you some kind of idea,,,lets all be positive...that is the way to live !!

Roadadvisor

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
18,188 posts
70 reviews
180 helpful votes
8. Re: Itinerary
Save

@2, cj, whether one's own docs are OK or not will not be a determining factor, if you are stuck in a long slow line.

"Here's a tip: don't get in a line behind a family with children. It was taking 20-30 minutes to process the families." (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k13469163-SJO_backed_up_immigration_Jan_20-Costa_Rica.html trip report from Jan. 20).

United States
Level Contributor
117 posts
9. Re: Itinerary
Save

i guess I am not getting the issue here ...a flight arrival of 11am. barring a major delay event is more than enough time to get thru immigration ...get a car and get to your destination in La Fortuna even with slow lines.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
12,761 posts
21 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: Itinerary
Save

The other thing no one's mentioned is that there really isn't much of anything that's an option as a layover halfway between SJO and Arenal. You drive through a cloud forest in a really isolated area. The options I can think of include the Villa Blanca Cloudforest Hotel or Lands in Love Resort. I do however, agree with others that you have plenty of time to drive to Arenal and that would be a better choice. https://www.villablanca-costarica.com/ https://landsinlove.com/

If you are concerned about lack of sleep after an overnight flight you could also look at Atenas which is only 30 minutes west of the airport but has a charming B&B overlooking the central valley with comfortable beds and a small pool. Then head out the next morning. http://www.vistaatenasbnb.com/

Reply to: Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.