We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car insurance

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Topic
car insurance

I would like everyone to understand what happened to us when we picked up our rental cars in San Jose. We rented our cars thru a travel agent, Tico Travel. They forwarded to me via e-mail an insurance schedule. We rented 2 vehicles from U-save rental agency. Upon arrival at U-save, they informed us that the price for insurance was greater than three times what was quoted by the travel agency, and that was the cheap price. We had to have the vehicles because we had to drive to La Fortuna that evening. We had no choice but to accept the grossly elevated price. I have tried to to come to some solution with both Tico Travel and U-save to no avail. Please do not trust either for your travel needs.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car insurance

Thanks for the information, I can tell you that I have rented from Tico Travel on several occasions, and I have been pleased with the service, cars, and prices.

Is one of the companies I recommend, because of my record with them, don't know what happen this time.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car insurance

Did they give you any reason for the change in price? It doesn't seem right but there might be some reason. Tico Travel does have a good reputation.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car insurance

don't know why Tico Travel sold me down the river. U-Save just as much to blame. Both of them are crooks in my book.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car insurance

Thanks for sharing, too bad they did not give you the correct information on prices nor a solution.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
320 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car insurance

If you tell us how the price breaks down perhaps there is an explanation - what car, how many days, how much for mandatory basic insurance, how much for optional insurances did you elect to do, did you use CDW on your credit card or pay for it? 3 times the price of what quote.

Car companies must disclose the price with the mandatory insurance (or should do) because it is mandatory and no getting around it. Some internet quotes neglect to include it.

Berni

Alajuela

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car insurance

Did you by any chance ask them for full zero deductible coverage? If you did it would triple the insurance costs.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car insurance

no

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car insurance

So sorry next time dealt directly with the rent a car...some not very nice middle people around...they just looking for your booking and then walk away!

roadadisor

Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: car insurance

Berni, Tico Travel sent me a copy of the insurance schedule. The mandatory part was $10.00/day. That charge was for either vehicle. I called my credit card company and they said that the card would cover any other charges. We rented a Mitsubishi 4WD and a Mitsubishi 13 passenger van for 7 days. I was charged almost $32.00/day for insurance. I elected not to take any optional insurance because my credit card would cover any additional charges. I was forced by U-save employees to pay this exorbitant amount. We had to have the vehicles. Are you the owner of the U-save franchise in Alajuela?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: car insurance

$10.00 a day for the Mandatory insurance seems cheap as most car rentals charge $15 and more per day depending on the car. Anyway that is what the agency sent to you and that is what they should have honored. Too bad neither is willing to reach a solution for you. Thank you for sharing your experience and I am sorry for your bad experience.