We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly Communities?

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Dog Friendly Communities?

My husband and I are looking to take a trip for our anniversary later this year. Since we are planning on driving, we would like to bring our dog. I was set on Gulf Shores until I just heard that GS is not dog friendly. Is this true? I don't want to travel across the country and have to leave my dog in the condo during the entire visit. Any feedback is much appreciated!

1. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 February 2017, 19:35
West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
556 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

Depends on what you mean by "dog friendly." Dogs are prohibited from the beaches in most of Baldwin County. However, a number of restaurants permit dogs in their outdoor patio areas. You will see lots of folks walking their dogs along the streets. Gulf Shores and neighboring Orange Beach both have nice, free, community dog parks.

All in all, I'd characterize GS as dog friendly. We've brought our dog with us every winter we've stayed here (more than a decade so far).

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

Fort Morgan has dog friendly beaches.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

I agree. Sure there are places you can't bring the dog but pretty much anywhere in Fort Morgan will allow dogs and you can walk them on the beach. We take our dog to the GS dog park all of the time. I know Big Beach Brewing allows dogs outside on their patio. Call ahead and ask.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

Dogs are allowed on the beach in Fort Morgan. I can't remember the exact wording of the provision but it goes something like the animal has to be under control; i.e. on a leash or obedience trained. And obviously you need to clean up after your pet (poop bags). As far as I'm concerned burying the waste doesn't cut it. Some condo rental communities that come to mind are, The Plantation, The Beach Club (but I'm not sure they allow dogs; never seen any there), Navy Cove and The Dunes. If you wanted a stand alone house, look at Martinique, Cabana Beach, Morgantown, Surfside Shores, or anywhere along Ft. Morgan Rd. If you do a search on VRBO.com for Ft. Morgan, you will find quite a few rentals that are pet friendly. Dogs are NOT allowed on the refuge; although I do see them there, but law enforcement could fine you. If you are walking on the beach, there are signs that alert you as to refuge property.

5 posts
6. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

To decipher the most dog-friendly cities, the study considered a city's dog accessibility, as in the number of dog parks, dog-friendly shopping .

7. Re: Dog Friendly Communities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2018, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores