We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

We are traveling to Gulf Shores from northern Indiana later this spring. We are considering an overnight stop on the way due to our traveling schedule. Any recommendations where to stay economically & family-friendly? Recommend Louisville KY, Bowling Green KY, Nashville or elsewhere along I-65?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

Athens Alabama (outside of Huntsville) is a good overnight stop. Right off of I-65 a few miles after you cross the state line. Gulf Shores is about 6 hours from there. If you don't want to drive that far, then I would stay south of Nashville.

North Vernon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

We travel from Southern Indiana and try to make it to Athens as well. Last year we went about an hour further. Makes for an easier drive on Saturday with the kids.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

Agree that Athens (exit 351) is a good option. It would be a little more than half way to GS. Next best would be Fultondale (exit 267), just north of Birmingham OR Pelham, just south of Birmingham. If you are traveling on a weekday, Pelham (exit 246) would be the best option to avoid rush hour traffic through Birmingham.

12 posts
4. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

Either stop NORTH of Birmingham (Decatur, Huntsville) or SOUTH of Birmingham. But if you stop in Decatur, try Big Bob Gibson's Bar-b-que.

I love Nashville, but am not a fan of Birmingham, though I live in Alabama. We have family in Illinois so I'm familiar with your route, and if we didnt drive straight through, we always stopped in Huntsville. The kids loved the Space Station, I felt safer than I did in B'ham or even Nashville, and it has plenty of hotels & dining close to the interstate.

We also stayed in Lynchburg, TN, visited the Jack Daniels place...GORGEOUS ... and the family still says it was one of the best trips. But it's about 30 minutes from I65.

IL
Level Contributor
124 posts
298 reviews
5. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

If you want to stop around Nashville, we have stopped south of Nashville in Franklin, TN. We have also stopped in Athens, AL, depending on what time we leave from home. Both towns have several options for hotels and are right on I-65 on your way to Orange Beach.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
143 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

I do recommend booking ahead if picking a place in AL. Couple of years ago every hotel off the main exits around Huntsville were full. We stayed in a wayside for a few restless hours of sleep.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

I am from central Indiana and the half way point for us is Huntsville. It is on I-65. It is a major metro, you are in AL, so you do not feel like you have that much further to travel. It does largely depend on the type of accommodation and price point you are looking for. If you do a Google search in that area and put in hotels and zoom in and out you will see different chains. For the low price, mid-price chains, yes Decatur and Athens would be fine. I have more than two kids, so I need places that accommodate us with asking us to pay for two rooms, so I look for chains that offer more space which is easier to find near the big cities like Huntsville, Nashville etc..

IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

NOT Nashville. Yikes!

5 posts
9. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

The Browse the top flights to Gulf Shores today. Click now to view cheap airfare deals from Delta, American Airlines, United, Spirit & JetBlue at Travelocity.

10. Re: Traveling to Gulf Shores from Indiana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2018, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Gulf Shores
Recent Conversations