We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chennai for three weeks

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Chennai for three weeks

All:

I'll be in Chennai on business for three weeks in early August (the date isn't fixed as yet). I'd like to get an idea of some things to do. On weekdays I'll have the afternoons free; I'll have two weekends to do more extensive trips. I'm planning on making the most of this trip. What things should I consider? I really enjoy hiking and if I can do that it'd be great. I'm a fairly experienced backpack traveler (Europe, Korea, and Japan, as well as all over the US) and I don't mind roughing it.

Thanks!

John W.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chennai for three weeks

Please contact peter.vangeit@gmail.com His group of experienced trekkers organises local hikes out of Chennai and elsewhere in Tamil Nadu. You can join them or get useful info.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chennai for three weeks

I part-own a company that does several interesting tours in and around Chennai. It's called Filter Coffee Tours, please take a look if you're interested. www.filtercoffeetours.com

You can also hire guides from the India Tourism office in Anna Salai.

INDIATOURISM CHENNAI (Tamil Nadu)

154, Anna Salai,

Chennai-600002, Tamil Nadu

Tel : 044-2846 1459,2846 0285

Fax: 044-2846 0193

Chennai, India.
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chennai for three weeks

August is not the hottest month in Chennai. it will still be pretty warm though.

During the weekends you could plan treks in near by Ooty, Kodaikanal, Palani- eastern ghat stretches. Bangalore city is more active with treking hiking activities than chennai, I think.

Mamallapuram shore temple could be an interesting weekday post lunch visit if you like sculptures.

Are you travelling to Kerala or other places in South India?

The East Coast Road that runs along the shore is an interesting stretch for tourist in Chennai.

Temples, scupltures are a big draw otherwise.Carnatic music is popular. So is shopping for silk materials.

Give us more details abt other interests.

Chennai, India.
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chennai for three weeks

Deepa krishnan sure knows what she is talking about. I find her recommendations good. Just looked into her posts abt sari shopping in chennai. I recommend taking her words.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chennai for three weeks

Thank you!

I moved to Bombay 3 years ago, but my in-laws live in Adyar, so I go to Chennai often. And I have some very good friends in Chennai also. I miss all the T-Nagar shopping, actually.

- Deepa

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chennai for three weeks

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Deepa - you'll be hearing from me in the next month or so, once my travel arrangements are locked in.

One further question. I want do do pottery while I'm there; that's my hobby in the US and it'd be nice to do that if possible while in India. I would obviously not have much time, and my work schedule will match US business hours (approximately 5 pm to 2 am local time), so that might make it hard to get into a hobby class. However, if there's a studio where I could learn a thing or two it'd be great.

Thanks!

John W.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chennai for three weeks

There's a place on the outskirts of Chennai that is on the "must-see" list of most visitors, it is called Dakshina Chitra, and it is a place where they have recreated the traditional homes of the diverse communities of South India.

One of the houses they have re-created is a traditional Indian potter's house (since pottery is a cottage industry in India, the house has demarcated areas for working and living). There is a resident potter there, who does demonstrations and workshops which you can participate in. I suggest you call Dakshina Chitra and check for schedules. Of if you're going as part of a guided tour using Filter Coffee Tours, then ask Zuleika (my partner in Chennai) to check for you. If you go with a guide, that helps, because the guide will translate. Here's a photo I found of the potter:

flickr.com/photos/induviduality/2463973230/

Dakshina Chitra is a great place, even if you don't do the pottery thing. http://www.dakshinachitra.net/index.htm

Hill Station
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Chennai for three weeks

Visit the Hill stations like Kodaikanal, Ooty, coonoor and kotagiri during your weekends. It make you different experience.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chennai for three weeks

Hi,

This is Tapan, am in chennai, working as a spanish interpreter.

Tapan

10. Re: Chennai for three weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2008, 17:54