We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

We wish to visit Elephanta caves from Gateway Of India BUT rather worried about the safety aboard the boat ferrying to the island. If you took the ride previously how safe did you REALLY feel in the boat? Is it possible for someone to post the pictures of these boats?

I am REALLY worried about the condition of these boats and lack of maintenance and the attitude of the boat operator(s) towards the passenger safety.

Thanks a LOT.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 15:10
Dallas
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

Correction - boat and not bot.

Vienna
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

Boat ride as well as visit to Elephanta Caves is quite safe but just avoid monkeys and beggars.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

I have been to elephanta Caves and Its really really not worth it.. There is better to see in Mumbai..

But this may help you:

…blogspot.com/2007/03/whew_29.html

…blogspot.com/2007/…elephanta-elephanta.html

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

Quite safe . Don't worry. Just don't try the ride during monsoon months.

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

Throughout my journey i felt unsafe.

Might be i am not familiar with sea.

Dallas
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

Ok. Thanks a lot for your replies. We are staying at Taj and will see how rickety the boat(s) looks like and then will make up our mind.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
517 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

I went three times to Elephanta (not a big fan, but some visiting friends always insisted to check it on their list), including once during the very first day of monsoon in 2008. Slightly rough sea but I felt absolutely safe.

The only potentially slight risk to your security during the visit would be the monkeys on the way to the caves, which can become aggressive if they see food in your hand (plus the slippery steps on the way to the cave but you will not be concerned at that time of the year)

Tom

Mumbai
Level Contributor
83 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

The boats at the Gateway of India are okay and we have not known of any accidents . The boarding is little difficult and there are plans to have floating jetties but there are objections from the navy.I have been to the Elephanta Caves and would not like to visit again . It needs better management of the heritage as well as amenities for the tourists . During monsoons , the seas get choppy and you may feel uncomfortable /seasick and on some occasions when storms are forecast , the ferry service is suspended by the authorities.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

I have been to the Elephanta Caves many times and never heard of any accident. They are safer then the road outside ..

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephanta Caves - How SAFE is the bot ride?

I went to the Elephanta Caves last wednesday and felt perfectly safe. The boats don't look much but they seem fairly sturdy.