We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Dear All,

Last night I was trying to book Eros by Hilton (New Delhi) for my trip to Delhi next month.

Trip advisor's price comparison said that Travelguru.com provided the cheapest tariff@ Rs.3000/-per night. When I clicked on the link of travelguru to book the hotel, it took me to a "Super Saver" hotel page of their's where the name of the hotel was not disclosed. I called up the Cus tomer Care of Travelguru to ask them about the name of the hotel, where they told me that the name of the hotel would be disclosed only after the booking is done & that if it was shown on some travel website (tripadvisor) it would be the same hotel. I went ahead and did the booking, but I did not get any confirmation on the name of the hotel, instead I got 2 emails from travelguru -

(1) stating that my booking is accepted (the contact number of the booked hotel that was given in the mail was that of Hotel Vikram & not that of Eros )

(2) My booking did not get processed due to some error.

I called the Customer Care today morning (as their call centers are not 24x7) where the advisor told me that my booking is confirmed & that I would get to know the name of the hotel only 24hrs before my checkin (as per their policy, I cannot cancel my booking 24hrs before the date of occupancy). I argued that I had booked Eros by Hilton & it better be the same hotel, to which the advisor said that she cannot gurantee if it would be the same hotel ( I was then confirmed that it would be Hotel Vikram, the rooms of which are anyway available for around 3000-3200)

Hence, I decided to cancel the booking (the advisor was courteous enough to help me cancel the booking & when the call got disconnected in between, she called me up by herself and we completed the procedure)

It is my humble request to the management of Tripadvisor to look into this matter & not to show travelguru's super saver hotels in the price comparison field as there are too many uncertanities related to it, hence it is not fair to the other websites listed in the price comparision.

Regards,

Harshit

44 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
353 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Wow! This is some information. I am really glad that you shared your experience. It will definitely help travelers plan their trip and book hotel more judiciously.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Not a good show by travelguru.

Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Dear Harshit,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Here’s our explanation of what happened:

1. This was a case of incorrect mapping of hotels due to some technical issues. We never wanted to show our ad on the hotel that you were looking for, but an incorrect ad was displayed due to the wrong mapping.

2. We have now removed our ad from this hotel to ensure that no one else faces this issue.

3. As you mentioned yourself, our customer service representative, after realizing the mistake, helped you cancel the booking.

Please be assured that Travelguru is committed to offer the best experience to its customers and ensure that our customers consider us every time they have to book a hotel. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you and would love to see you back on our website for all your future hotel bookings. Also, to ensure you about our commitment on this, we would want to offer you a discount coupon of flat 15% that you can use to book any hotel across India from Travelguru.com. We will email the discount coupon to you shortly.

Thank you!

Team Travelguru.

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Nice to see you accept the mistake (glitch) & if this is actually so, would definately try travelguru 1ce more & hope that my opinion about the company changes for the good! :)

New Delhi, India
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

I am very interested in travel and always read travel articles and when I get time, I book the tour and go for vacation. I booked hotel once from makemytrip and once from yatra.com and found they earned huge from us. They earn about 20% - 30% and I think travelguru is also the same type of company. I advice go to the individual hotel website and book from there. You can ask for any special discount If they have, they will definately give you.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Hi-

Ones you have fallen in a ditch and again you want to go same way.

Arun

Guwahati, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Rightly say friend. Me 2 have experienced the same few days back. Makemytrip.com tried their best to book a hotel for me in jaipur with 20%-30% extra. But thanks to god when out of curiosity i went to hotel website directly they offered us same room in 25% less than what makemytrip offered us earlier.

Its better to book hotel by connecting directly with hotel itself.

Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Hi,

I wanted to share a similar bad experience with Travelguru. Initially booked 4 rooms with Hotel City Airport, Delhi through Travelguru (going by the customer reviews). Their policy said full refund if I cancelled before 24 hours. I initially cancelled 1 room 48 hours prior and promptly got a response from Travelguru. When I cancelled the 2nd room i got a reply telling that the hotel refused to refund (although I cancelled before 24 hours). Now I land at the hotel with 3 room bookings and to be told they dont have any rooms - they asked us to walk 2 hotels across to their sister concern which turned out to be a really shady lodge. Apparantely, bookings through Travelguru happen automatically and they couldnt help rooms not being available. We were 2 ladies and helpless late night. We walked down the road and found another hotel.

I immediately called Travelguru and explained the situation, and then followed up with an email. After 3 follow up email, Travelguru never responded AT ALL. When I managed to call them again, they finally acknowledged all my emails but no explantation for their muteness. Apparantely, their finance team was closed for the day so they couldnt find a solution. So its only money down the drain

Pls. avoid travelguru at any cost

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

Hi-

Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely it will help to other tourists.

Arun

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com

thanks for the info, maybe Travelguru will see your post and offer an explanation.

Reply to: Be careful while booking a hotel through travelguru.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted