We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
396 reviews
Save Topic
nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Fly to delhi on 24th july for 1 week. what are the best places to visit that are relatively close. don't mind staying in other places but need to be be back in delhi for a flight on the 1st of august. are there any nice, friendly laid back towns that aren't as touristy as the golden triangle that people can recommend?

Also, how is the weather at the moment? Is it flooded? Torrential rain? Occasional downpours?

Many thanks in advance. x

Discover India by Car
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
When In India Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
India Trip 4 U
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Bromborough, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

I agree with suggestion of Mandawa/ Shekhawati region. Good place to catch a first glimpse of Rajasthani life and we loved our walking tour of the painted havelis in Mandawa. Plenty of interesting heritage hotels in the area also. As I recall drive time from Delhi was 4- 5 hours. Best way is to get a Delhi travel agent to organise (air-conditioned !) chauffeur-drive, hotel(s) and possibly services of a local guide for walking tours when you get there. Our guide in Mandawa was really, really good. We regularly use Indovision (website eholidaysindia.com) and have always been very happy with their service and price. I reckon it will be hot though.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Look up Orchha & Jhansi as well. http://www.bundelkhandriverside.com/

You can combine it with Gwalior also.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Manadawa , Alsisar, Bikaner, Jaisalmer... I am sure you would like them all or any of those.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

you can visit DELHI / AGRA / JAIPUR / AND PUSHKAR. most touristic palace golden triangle with Pushkar.

Delhi to Agra 200 kilometer 4 hours drive

Agra to Jaipur 250 kilometer 4:30 hour drive

Jaipur to Pushkar 170 kilometer 3 hours

Pushkar to Delhi 400 kilometer 7 hours

These cities are best for now a days

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

I would strongly suggest Delhi - Gwalior - Orccha - Khajuraho - Varanasi - Delhi.

Varanasi is probably the only city which you would find crowded, all the others are laid back quiet kind of destinations with not much tourist activity this time of the year.

Happy Traveling, Sunil

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Quite near to Delhi is Patiala you can visit the Qila Mubarak fort and the wonderful Durban Hall and the Old Moti Bagh Palace, then go on to Amritsar to visit the golden temple.

17. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 14:05
Bromborough, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Further to my earlier post, Udaipur and Mount Abu is also a good suggestion but much further from Delhi than Mandawa/ Shekhawati region so as you only have a week you would probably want to take internal flight between Delhi and Udaipur. Udaipur is stunning and Mount Abu is certainly laid back - it's Rajasthan's only hill station so some relief from the heat up there and you can visit wonderful Dilwara Jain temples and take a boat on the lake.

London, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

Visit, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer and Udaipur...they are most likable destinations.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: nice places to visit that aren't golden triangle

I think Shekhawat region is very good choice not far from delhi and small village are nearby like mandawa, Jhujhunu , nawalgarh and fatehpur to visit in a week. There many choice to stay at mandawa and nawalgarh , Jhujhunu as well.