We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
14 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions?

I am meeting my husband in New Delhi in February next year and would welcome suggestions as to where we could travel to for about a week before we set off on a 14-day tour of Rajasthan from Delhi - are there any hill stations within easy reach? My husband, after a couple of weeks trekking in Nepal, will meet me on my arrival from Australia, so a restful week for him would probably be welcome. Any suggestions, please? Thanks so much!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Any suggestions?

A week is a nice amount of time, but all of the suggestions above require different degrees of effort.

We have been to Mussoorie which is a 5-6 hr train ride from delhi to dehradun and then another hour going up the mountain in a car. Quite nice once you are up there, and there are first class carriages on the train. You should have a couple of nights in Haridwar on the way, stay at the Hari Haveli, Ganga.

Simla; think twice before taking the 'toy train'. Our sister and brother in law (Aussies) booked this return and it was so bad going up they just hired a car to get back down. The train from delhi to Kalka is fine, fast with first class seats, but the train from Kalka to Simla is SLOW, CROWDED, with uncomfortable wooden seats. It was the longest 5 hours of their lives. The hotel car brought them down to Kalka in about 3 hours.

We haven't been to Simla but I hear it is quite a big town, not a quaint little village.

Just as an aside, take recommendations from locals here with a pinch of salt. Advice can be well meaning but not take account of travel times, crowding and comfort.

Another option, which we know westerners have liked, is Darjeerling staying at the Glenburn tea estate. My boss said Darjeerling town is a bit of a dump but the tea plantation and accommodation excellent.

22. Re: Any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:20