We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

Hong Kong
1 post
Save Topic
Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

Has anyone recently (ie in the last month) used their HSBC card to withdraw rupees from an ATM in Delhi? HSBC has recently changed their ATM cards so they are now redundant in many ATM machines in many countries especially in Europe but also some Asian countries.We tried asking in Hong Kong at our main branch but they do not seem to know. We have a very sick relative in Delhi and therefore have no idea how long we need to stay or how much money we need to cover all expenses and medical costs and carrying large amounts of cash is a concern.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

Yes HSBC ATM Cards do Work here. I don't think there might be any major upgradation due to which they need to change ATM Machines.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

HSBC has there own branches in Delhi if any how ATM will not work, you may contact with branch and can get money. I am also using HSBC card but have no problem. I do not have idea about Overseas card.

Hari Mangal

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

HSBC has there own branches in Delhi if any how ATM will not work, you may contact with branch and can get money. I am also using HSBC card but have no problem but no idea about Overseas card.

Hari Mangal

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

From an upgraded card, do you mean a chip based card? Chip based cards are used in India. Additionally you need to note that since yours will be a Visa/ mastercard etc, it does not matter if the card does not work on one ATM machine since you will find hundreds of machines in Delhi. The other option would be to walk into an HSBC branch and ask for help if you face any problem. I am sure they will be able to provide a solution. The third option would be to use the ATM card at swipe machines and pay your bills directly with them. Debit cards are acceptable at most merchant locations. You will need to enter the ATM Pin into the swipe machine at the time of the transaction.

5. Re: Do newHSBC ATM cards work in India still

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:17