We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to India - Help!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to India - Help!

My wife and I are thinking about visiting India next October. Right now we're looking at flying into New Dehli, experiencing the city, going to Agra, taking a flight to Kathmandou, then?... Would Goa be worth the extra flight? We'd like to have a little beach time loaded in sometime as an R&R. So what are some "no misses" in India. We have 2-3 weeks for travel. We are experienced travelers and would like to get a good taste and experience of India. Suggested itineraries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Delhi, agra and Jaipur are good introduction to any body on hios first visit to India. it can be covered in 4-5 nights comfortably. You can fly to Kathmandu via Varanasi so while going to or coming back from Kathmandu you can stay for two nights at Varanasi. From Varanasi to Mumbai to Goa.

deepak

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Dehli, Agra, Jaipur would be one part of trip. Then go to Varanasi for flight to Kathmandu. Back to varnasi for two days then flight to Goa? Then open jaw trip back to States from Mumbai. Does this sound doable? I noticed flights to Kathmandu from Dehli would be about $184. Would they be comparable from Varanasi? Thanks for your help!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Hello jdmckay,

You can make Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Delhi as your 1st Part as Golden Triangle. When you return to Delhi you can take a flight to Kathmandu back to Delhi for flight to Varanasi and then to Mumbai and Goa.

Either you can do this way - You can do golden triangle with varanasi so you cover northern part. 2 day Delhi, 2 day Jaipur, 1 full day Agra, Take a Night train to Varanasi 2 to 3 days in Varanasi. Flight to Kathmandu Via Delhi from airport in Varanasi. Since most of the flights are indirect. They have stop at delhi airport. It won't make any difference.

Then you can take a direct flight to Mumbai from Kathmandu to go to goa. Stay, relax, enjoy at beaches of India.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Regards,

Ashu

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Ashu,

It looks like it'd probably be easier to go back to Dehli for the flight to Kathmandu? Definitely want to hit the golden Triangle, and possibly set out a bit more up north.

thanks for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Heyyyyy JDMCKAY..... i just got back from a trip around the North of India..... had an awesome time out there....... first time India....rightly suggested by Deepak..... the destinations on the Golden Triangle are defo must do........ this was my 2nd trip there and each time I was there for 2 weeks......if culture is what you are looking to explore ....I would definitely recommend that you cover some destinations in Rajasthan...... it is an amazing and colourful state with some beautiful palaces...... I loved Jaisalmer - the Golden City - for the people, culture and architecture........ the intricacy of the designs on the buildings.....all made out of Golden Sandstone.....from one of the view points from the fort, the city looked like a massive Sand castle .......rising from the sands of the dessert.....the other excursion i enjoyed was a camel back ride to the sand dunes at sunset..... stunning....and then went back to a dessert camp for dinner and folk dance entertainment......

I also loved Varanasi ....again for the rich culture...... but there again.... Varanasi for many could be a hit or miss.....some love it some dont..... I loved it .......

also loved the city of Lakes- Udaipur- in Rajasthan....it has got to be the cleanest city I have visited so far in India....... the lakes and hills provide stunning landscapes to the city, the people add colour and architecture and palaces add magnificence to this city.

again for another taster of very different culture....Punjab was awesome.....visited Amritsar ...... visited the Golden Temple, the Wagah Border ceremony and visited a model village where i got the chance to see some folk dance.... simply awesome !!!!!!!!

so the destinations I have covered over my 2 trips are Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Varanasi, Amritsar, Jalandhar, Chandigarh, Varanasi, Manali and Shimla.... so if you would like any tips on any of these....feel free to drop a message my way and will definitely try and get back to you asap

Happy Trip planning buddy !!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 11 May 2012, 23:28
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Awesome! I'll definitely get in touch with you once we get our flight plans taken.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Hi your trip sounds great, my husband and I are going to India for the first time in August and I don't really know where to start organizing. We will be staying 10 maybe 12 days and would like to do the golden triangle, do you know a reputable travel company we could use to make some arrangements, ie: driver, is a driver the best way to get around? And what is a reasonable price to pay for a driver and car ? We would appreciate any help with some ideas thanks

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,960 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Hi Alex,

As you mentioned August is bit hot more humid.Search for tour operators suggested on trip advisor . There are few names of travel agency recommended .

You can start from Delhi and can do a golden triangle comfortably in 5/6 nights. you can also add Bikaner,Jodhpur, Udaipur,in you tour.

The driver is the best way to get around the places.The companies normally charges rs 10-12/km.

Thanks

Rashidagraindia

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

jdmckay,

For flights you can look at www.cleartrip.com. Very popular site to book tickets.

deepak

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to India - Help!

Hello indiatrip2

How did you get around and what kind of accommodation did you stay in

Thanks for any info

Edited: 12 May 2012, 12:35