We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code - first timer questions

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
302 reviews
Save Topic
dress code - first timer questions

hello everyone,

we are a family of 4 who will be travelling in August, so we know it will be HOT and potentially wet at times. there is myself, a late 40's mother, my husband and my two teenage children, a daughter 14, turning 15 on the trip and a son, 16.

we will be travelling from Delhi - Jaipur - Agra - Orchha - Khajuraho - Varanasi - Katmandu - Pokhara - Katmandu - Delhi.

Can you all help me out with what we all should be wearing in terms of appropriate clothing for India (Nepal) at this time of year? Is it not appropriate for the MEN to wear knee length shorts? or is that okay?

What about for my daughter and myself?

Also, is it easy for myself and my daughter to by ready made Salwaar Kameez somewhere in Delhi? do they make them in cotton? are they cool to wear? where would be go to get these? how expensive are they?

Any help you could give us in this area would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jo

Toronto
Level Contributor
379 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dress code - first timer questions

Just returned from most of those places. I am mid 50's woman. Indian people do not wear shorts. I in fact saw no Indian people of any age in any pants that did not go to the ankles (so no capris etc). Woman wear leggings, jeans, a few salawaar kameez (not so much in Delhi), men wear pants, teens wear jeans.

Having said that I had two salawaar kameezes with me (borrowed from friend and other bought in Toronto), which i only wore at first. No one cared at all that i had on capris, which I wore with a lose top, with short sleeves. I choose not to wear shorts (I had one pair with me, long to the knee) as no one had shorts on, and it was 35 to 40 out. I was comfortable in my capris. If I was visiting a temple or outside of a large twon or city type area, I would bring out my Tunic top, and wear leggings. If I went to a restaurant at night I would wear a dressy tunic top and my leggings. However I did feel my leggings were too short, in that they ended just abve my ankles, and everyone elses' covered and slightly bagged around the ankles.

I think I was the only one who cared or noticed. No one seemed bothered, but then I am id 50's.

Teen daughter will need to avoid spaghetti straps, and too revealing. Baggy on top, leggings or jeans on bottom, which seemed quite tight to me.

Men and teen boys- tshirts, cotton shirts, and jeabs or pants. However many male tourists were in long shorts.

Toronto
Level Contributor
379 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dress code - first timer questions

oh sorry, yes easy to buy if you want once you are there, but I think you would be better off just buying loose tops, and bringing leggings, but you can also get leggings there no problem, saw lots in Janpeth Market as an example near Connaught Place in Delhi.

I did not see that many woman in the bagging trousers which I had two pairs of. To be clear i was in udaipur, Rankapur, Jodhur, Jalismar, Gajner, Bikaner, Samode, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi, and Delhi.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dress code - first timer questions

Hi Jo,

It is definitely hot & humid in the month of August. When visiting religious sites like Varanasi, it is better to have a full length dress - jeans, salwaar kameez, short sleeved t-shirts (women); jeans, full length trousers, short sleeved t-shirts (men).

For other locations, a knee length short, capris, t-shirts (sleeve or sleeve-less) are fine.

Well my experience of shopping with my wife for readymade & affordable garments in Delhi are at -- Sarojini Nagar, Lajpath Nagar & Janpath markets. They are cool and ready to wear garments. The quality of garments may not be too good but you surely will find cotton-made dresses too.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress code - first timer questions

Shorts- long or short are absolutely fine - i live in Delhi and practically wear shorts every day and its all ok

women can wear almost anything except for waling on the streets in a bikini -Just kidding- any cotton top/ T-shirt/Tunic would be fine as the weather is extremely hot and humid at that point of the year

you can buy salwar kammez from any major market in Delhi and it could cost between 300-30,000 Indian rupees

Nepal could be a little chili so do keep jeans and a wind cheater along

in India you could roam around in floaters and sandals, you need not wear shoes but in Nepal you might need the shoes as well

Helsinki, Finland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dress code - first timer questions

hey,

when i was visiting some of this places i was wearing only dresses and shorts, its very worm you can't wear anything else, even though the locals don't wear any reviling cloths it doesn't bother then they know you are tourist, just in case try to do on long dresses have a jeans, I'm sure that you won't wear any crop tops but in case of your daughter she can wear what ever she want just not too much reviling,

if you wan more tips on what to wear visit this look guide: …blogspot.com/p/what-and-where-to-wear-your-…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dress code - first timer questions

Temples and Mosques etc, you'll need to be dressed conservatively, ie, covered up, of course.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 09:37
Toronto
Level Contributor
379 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dress code - first timer questions

I should have added I was there in March, and it was ONLY low 30 to high 30's where I was- You will be much hotter I think.

I agree in delhi you can wear pretty much anything although I saw no teens in revealing type tops, I did not see spaghetti straps, bare midriffs (on teens), or shorts except some shprts on tourists. There were very very very few teen western tourists girls there when I was there (I have a teen daughter, who was not with me, so I noticed).

Try not to HAVE to buy stuff there AT least at first. I at least found shopping very very time consuming and a bit of a chore. Also a lot of the tops are not great quality, and the fabric can be quite see through (I bought a tunic top and realized I had to wear a white t shirt underneath, making me hotter). Bargaining and the whole buying process can easily take 20-30 mins

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dress code - first timer questions

thanks everyone for your great and informative replies!

i have one more question, if you don't mind - the ready to wear items, such as the salwaar kameez - are the available for tall woman? my daughter and I are 5'10 and 5'11 (178 & 180 cm). do they come in short sleeved and are they cotton?

Also, are any of the markets that you mentioned Titus, near Connaught Place? we are staying near there.

thanks again! Jo

9. Re: dress code - first timer questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:41