We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Delhi?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Delhi?

Hiya! I am going to be in Delhi for 1 1/2 days before starting a tour for 2 weeks, and was wondering which is the best area to stay in. for 2 nights. The hotel my tour operater suggests is Hotel Shanti Palace, in Patal Nagar which seems quite a way out.

I want to be able to see the sights, was thinking about the hop on hop off bus, or going on a guided tour / driver... Which would be best?

I'm a single female traveller so want somewhere safe, with easy access to food nearby for the evening.

Please help!!!

Diana

brooklyn new york
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Delhi?

HI Diane - I have stayed at a B&B and hotels in the center of the city and near Lodi Gardens and found it easy to get around with either the Metro (incredibly safe and clean) - I stayed at the Lutyens Bungalow 2 years ago and it was fine for me - nothing special but a clean and secure room, with AC, a TV, and a western bath. Breakfast under the tree with the parrots was included! I have also stayed at pricey hotels (Imperial was my fav) but prefer the intimacy of the New Dehli B&B scene. Lots of good recommendations here for them. You could easily hire a taxi to drive you around for the entire day for a few hundred rupees - and do a few walking tours?? I found the name of one called Heritage Walking tours of New Dehli in National Geographic and plan to use them myself whilst I am there in March (and staying at Aamaya in Nizamuiddin).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Delhi?

For hustle and bustle and chaos, try Paharganj, Karol bagh or old Delhi, these areas have tons of budget hotels and on the plus side your likely to meet more travellers. Personally though l would rather stay in a quiet middle class residential area, Ahuja residency in golf links, central delhi or Dawarvilla in Bengali Market, central Delhi, the manor, new friends colony, south Delhi, pamposh guest house, gk2, south Delhi, or ibis in Gurgaon - all in the budget range or mid range, if it's top end your after it has to be Aman, lodhi colony, central Delhi. All these places are in good Safe locations but some are more far out but getting taxis or autos or the metro is relatively cheap by uk standards. I lived in gk2 for 18 months, a friend stayed at pamposh and said it was great value, it's above a dominos! There also a costa coffee, Batista, cafe coffee day, ruby Tuesday, 24 hour spar like store, a cantaeen cheap like dhaba, and a couple of fine dining expensive options like diva and nu deli all on your doorstep, literally 10 min walk and you have the great mainland china & smoke house grill restaurants & a nice bar & a Shahnaz hussain salon which do great facials!

Edited: 06 February 2011, 23:32
Agra, India
Level Contributor
797 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Delhi?

Hi,

karaol bagh is also a nice place to stay.it will be good if you ask your agent for guide. he will help you. some of these places you can add in your program.

Delhi :

Qutub Minar, Jama masjid, Humayum Tomb, Lotus temple. India Gate, Akshardham Temple.

this is my advice.rest is all up to you.

regards

Raja

Edited: 07 February 2011, 07:48
from wales
Level Contributor
257 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Delhi?

Hi Diana,

I always stay in the Karol Bagh area in a relatively new hotel called 'Woodcastle', there are many good reviews about them here on TA. They offer free internet, food there is simply great, the market is walking distance, they are very close to the metro or they can organise a car if you wish with your own itineraray or their suggestions. There's always single travellers there when I visit. Im going back in March myself so if you decide to book please tell them I say hi!

Andrea

India
Level Contributor
117 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Delhi?

Hi MJellybaby

for 1 1/2 days, I would go with Bkl.larkhy above about the Lodi Garden area. This is the most central location of Delhi, though I dont know exact location of said B&B.

Lodi Gardens (itself an almost must in Delhi itinerary) has following spots close by -

Walking distance- Khan Market, India Gate, National Museum, National Gallery of Modern Art, Zoo, Purana Quila, etc.

5 to10 minutes drive - President House/parliament, Humayun's tomb, Masjid, Nizamuddin Dargah, Defence Colony Market, Connaught Place etc.

Cheers.

6. Re: Where to stay in Delhi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 02:17