We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

Hello everyone!

I'm planning my first trip to India. I'll be staying in New Delhi for 3 nights, March 4th-7th; then onward to Agra and Jaipur. I have several questions...

1) is it better to stay in Aero city near the airport or in the center of town near Connaught Place since there are more choices and luxury hotels in Aero city? I'll be hiring a car and driver anyway but just concerning about traffic and getting to and from hotel to sight seeing places.

2) can Agra (Taj Mahal) be seen in one day?

3) is it recommended to stay the night in Agra before the 4 hours drive to Jaipur, and how's driving at night?

Thank you very much in advance and hope to receive some good advices!

Phil

38 replies to this topic
Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India, Gangtok, Varanasi, Amritsar
Level Contributor
21,645 posts
394 reviews
1. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

For a tourist point of view its always better to stay around CP,many attractions are nearby,if staying at aerocity you have to daily negotiate notorious delhi traffic specially near Aerocity (mahipalpur to Dhaulakua). Certainly there are more branded hotels in Aerocity than any other one location but you would not be having much option to eat outside other than other hotels restaurant (which is certainly expensive and not value for money and another option will be food court of worldmark mall) and also hotels are overpriced.If stayimg at CP,it will give you option to choose among hundreds of restaurant.

Agra can be done as a day tour,either by train or hiring a vehicle.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

It is always good to stay in the center of the city. It not only gives you flexibility to move to any part of the city in the shortest time but also provide options to spend time. So CP over aerocity is always a good choice.

As far as Agra same day trip is concerned, you can very well do it but you are advised to stay in Agra for one night and then travel to Jaipur. This will give you an opportunity to see couple of more monuments in Agra and around along with that it will also provide you good time to relax in Agra hotel. If you choose to go back to Delhi then you can see maximum of 3 monuments and will miss a UNESCO monument Fatehpur Sikri which is on the way to Jaipur from Agra.

Roads in India are relatively safe but one should avoid traveling too late in night.

World
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

I have just returned and can tell you that one evening it took us 1.5 hours to get from Aerocity to CP where we were having dinner at the Masala Library.

The drive from Delhi to Agra is 3 to 4 hours. Do not drive at night. What we did and would recommend is drive from Delhi to Agra, see the Taj and sunset, then stay over and see the Taj at sunrise and then drive on Jaipur which is another 4 plus hour drive so you arrive in Jaipur late afternoon.

World
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

We used a great tour operator based in Jaipur to arrange our trip. If you want their details pm me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
705 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

I stayed in pretty much the exact same places. I stayed in Mahipalpur which is next to Aerocity at the Radisson Blu and at the Shangri-la in Connaught.

I stayed at the radisson because we arrived late in the evening and was supposed to have a early morning flight although that was later changed.

I stayed at the Shangri-la for two nights and loved it. Also took the Gatimaan Express train to and from agra for the day (1hr40min) each way. Easily can see Taj Mahal and Agra fort in a day if you do the two trains for the day plus have lots of time for lunch and to see another attraction as well.

The Area of Connaught is 100x better than that of Aerocity or Mahipalpur and I think you get better value for your money.

You could easily use Delhi Connaught area as your base and do daily train rides to Agra and Jaipur.

Edited: 09 December 2017, 17:43
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

The sightseeing in Delhi is spread out widely. In the northern part you have Old Delhi (Chandni Chowk, Red Fort, bazaars) and British Delhi (Connaught Place, India Gate, President's house etc). In the southern part you have Qutb Minar, Humayun's Tomb, Lotus Temple, Hauz Khas, Nizamuddin. Akshardham is in the east. Shopping and dining is everywhere. Irrespective of where you stay, you have to drive around quite a bit. I would not really recommend staying near the airport. You can stay somewhere south of Connaught Place and north of the airport. See this map and it may help you decide. I have marked a few hotels also the Taj Mansingh, Claridges etc. https://goo.gl/maps/ntggi1u1ja42

Edited: 10 December 2017, 02:04
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,986 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

As for the golden triangle, Delhi-Agra-Jaipur, this is SUCH a well-trodden path that you should not really be reinventing the wheel. The usual popular trip is 5 nights and 6 days. 2 nights in Delhi, 1 in Agra and 2 in Jaipur. If you have more time available, you can add more time in Delhi and Jaipur which have a lot to see and do.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

Better stay in City Centre which will give you the flexibility to roam in any part of Delhi.

Agra definitely deserves overnight stay to explore this historic city at a slower and justified pace.

Regards...PRem

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
9. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

Thank you so much for your advice on hotel stay location and food options. I will stay around CP.

Phil

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
10. Re: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught

Thank you very much for your advice!

I will be staying around CP in Delhi.

Per your advice, I will be spending the night in Agra because I don't want to drive at night and miss Fatehpur Sikri.

Cheers!

Phil

Reply to: New Delhi: Staying in Aero city verses hotels in Connaught
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted