We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
30 reviews
Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

Hi, we will be staying at the Chaaya Citadel on the night of my boyfriend's birthday. During the day we are going to the Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage but I'm wondering what we could do in the evening. I realise that the hotel is outside of Kandy itself but we will have the use of a car and driver so would it be worth heading into Kandy for the evening? Are there any good restaurants we could go to for a special birthday meal? The reviews for the Chaaya Citadel seem a bit mixed hence my hesitation at dining there. Any suggestions greatly received. Thank you! P.S: We will have already visited the Temple of the Tooth the previous evening.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,446 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

Hi there,

Have dinner at Mahaweli Reach hotel, 3-4 km away only by tuktuk (also on edge of town). The best restaurant dinner setting in town, lovely lit garden and pool. Could even book a boat transfer over the river back and forth between MR and Citadel hotel, or one-way only from Citadel to dinner.

Alternatives with lovely lake views are the restaurants of Hilltop or Thilanka hotels.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
221 reviews
2. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

I think you are right, if you want a special meal Citadel is not the place. It is very much a transit hotel and the dining room is often crowded and noisy. They go in for the standard international buffet that is found all over the island in tourist hotels. If you want something really romantic and special I'd say stay away from the big hotels altogether and head for Theva Residency. It is a boutique hotel with amazing views of Kandy and the surrounding hills and is about fifteen minutes from the centre of Kandy on the Hantanne Road. Not that easy to find, especially in the dark so make sure that if you go there the driver get directions beforehand.

Food is quite inventive and there is a very good barman who will mix you a special cocktail. Not cheap by SL standards, around £30 per head, depending on drinks. Weather permitting there is a lovely balcony just outside the dining room, perfect for that special occasion.

Here is their website:

http://theva.lk/

If you go, make sure you say it is your boyfriend's birthday when you book. I recommended Theva to some friends for their anniversary meal and they got a cake.

David.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I have to say that the Theva Residency looks like much more what I had in mind. It looks perfect! I'm going to contact our tour company and see if they can get it all organised for us. Really, really appreciate this suggestion David - thank you! I've got a feeling that we're going to wish we were staying there instead of the Citadel looking at the reviews and pictures! Regards, KK03

Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
221 reviews
4. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

Thanks KK03, yes Theva is a lovely place to stay but rather more expensive than Citadel, I'm afraid. It is all very minimalist chic but you can enjoy one evening there. As I said, make sure your driver contacts them for directions and try to get there before sunset to admire the view in the sunshine. There is a nice small swimming pool too, which you have probably seen on the website. So, perhaps a dip and a sundowner on the terrace before dinner.

Get Abey to mix you a pineapple and cardamom martini, it is very good and I should know because I gave him the recipe!

Good luck and enjoy the birthday.

David.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

Yes, we'll certainly make the most of our evening. Am dreaming of the martinis already! Our tour company are going to make the reservation for us and they too have also confirmed that it is a great choice of venue! Like the idea of a sundowner - what time would we need to be there in time for the sunset? (we will be there at the end of November)

I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes when we get back! Thanks again!

Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
221 reviews
6. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

Basically in Sri Lanka sunrise is at around six and sunset around six with not a great deal of variation. If you were at Theva by five thirty you'd get the daytime view and then the night view.

Cheers,

David.

7. Re: Birthday Celebrations in Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 05:16