We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

Qingdao
Level Contributor
23 posts
where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

Just as title, if plantation is far beyond bus route from kandy, where can I buy some in the downtown? Thank u!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

Hi there....

As with anywhere else in Sri Lanka, buy your tea from a local supermarket, much better prices there rather than from tea factories/tourist shops...

Regards

Dave

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

I haven't had that experience myself. Supermarkets like Cargills either sell very ordinary tea or heavily packaged varieties suitable for gifts. If you want larger quantities of good tea like BOPF, I have found the tea factories sell it in ordinary packaging at far better prices than the supermarkets ... but like anything, it varies from place to place. My best purchases have been at tea factories like the Mackwoods Labookelie outlet. I agree that tourist shops charge a lot for it.

Sue

Edited: 03 October 2011, 16:59
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

I agree with Sue.

Hans

Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
222 reviews
4. Re: where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

In Kandy itself try Laxapana tea stores, where high quality tea can be had at reasonable prices. They will also heat seal it for you in foil packs. This shop is in a side steeet just oppostie the Kandy bus stand clock tower. Not difficult to find and right in the centre of Kandy. Look out for BOP and BOPF tea. The BOP is lighter than the BOPF simply because the leaf size is larger, other than that it is the same tea.

They also sell very good spices at Laxapana.

If you are interested in tea and are not going up country you could visit the Tea Museum at Hantanne, just 15 to 20 minutes by taxi from the centre of Kandy and just beyond is the Hantanne tea factory, a working factory - I think they take visitors too.

David.

5. Re: where to buy tea with a reasonable price in kandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:19