We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions: 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella

Pune, India
4 posts
Opinions: 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella

Hi.

I am seeking some opinions on the 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella. Any recent experiences with the same?

Some more context:

I would be landing at the airport at 8.30 AM and am planning to go to Kandy straight from the Airport by road, explore the city till it gets dark, and next day catch the 3:30 AM train from Kandy to Ella. From what could I see, it is relatively slower compared to other trains(6hrs30 vs 10hrs). But I am confident that I'll get a seat at 3.30 AM :p

Apart from this information, I could not figure out the margins by which it can get delayed, like it is known that the express trains usually run can get delayed by and hour. So any piece of information in that regard would be really helpful.

3 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,460 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: Opinions: 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella

Hi there,

The Goods train does not have much delay because it has sooooo much more buffer space ;-) This is needed to attach/detach goods carriages at certain stations. Indeed decent guarantee for a seat for those boarding in Kandy, and might even be possible to reserve an observation coach seat for it the day before at station...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Pune, India
4 posts
2. Re: Opinions: 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella

Thank a tonne Erik. How does one come to know that who is posting among Erik and Sandya?

Btw, I see three advantages in catching #1126 from Kandy instead of #1005 from Colombo in my itinerary.

#1: The tentative seat guarantee

#2: Minimum 2 hour early arrival at Ella

#3: Few hours to explore Kandy instead of few hours at Colombo.

Any other foreseeable positive/negative points about this plan?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,460 posts
226 reviews
3. Re: Opinions: 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella

Yes could work for you.

<Erik>

Reply to: Opinions: 3:30AM mixed train (#1126) from Kandy to Ella
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted