We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
493 posts
301 reviews
Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

This is not my first visit to Asia, nor many places in the world. I’m finding it distasteful that Temples charge Tourists to enter. I understand that there are numerous historical world places of worship that do charge but why is it free for worshipping but payment for the Tourist. St Peters Cathedral is free, as is the Western Wall & Golden Dome Mosque, Jerusalem. If the Temple of the Tooth is a UNESCO site, why don’t they fund it? Maybe if the fee was more symbolic I wouldn’t feel too targeted as a tourist.

9 replies to this topic
Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
792 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

In the U K you certain!y get charged a fee to visit certain places of worship,so it's not just Sri Lanka,I,m certain there will be other countries where this also applies.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
499 posts
255 reviews
2. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

They don't want to miss the opportunity to take money from the tourists, which get them in the way, so at least they earn some money from us...

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

In London, you have to pay yo enter St. Paul's. Most temples in Sri Lanka do not charge anything for you to enter.

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
493 posts
301 reviews
4. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

I didn’t know you had to in the U.K. too. I’m just going to have to put my convictions to the side & not miss the opportunity. When in Rome, as they say.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

Charging a nominal fee is OK in my opinion. Unfortunately, the prices for places like Sigiriya and Anuradhapura Sacred area for tourists are absurd. If the authorities are not careful, tourists will start to avoid these places. In the end there is much more to see and do in Sri Lanka.

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
493 posts
301 reviews
6. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

I have been feeling somewhat ripped off. It started when there was an error on the visa & the Chief Immigration officer wouldn’t accept it, so we had to cough up $40 for a new one. I think 30% VAT on hotels is extortionate. I think Sri Lanka is beautiful. I’m thinking I’ll not visit again, so might as well not miss the most important sights. In for a penny, as the saying goes.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

ilanastone, not sure what St Peters Cathedral you have mentioned free but when we went to St Peters Cathedral in Vatican our tour guide paid the money and bought pre-paid tickets for us and the tickets were checked at the entry. I agree that tax on hotel accommodation is high in SL but I would make my decisions based on total price I have to pay and not based on individual components in hotel's nightly rate.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
8. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

I don't think they ought to be fee but most sites in Sri Lanka are overpriced. And it would have been okay if they could justify it by giving quality audio guides and spotless bathrooms etc

Entry to the St. Peters Basilica used to be free? You need to pay to enter the Vatican Museum /Sistine Chapel has a fee. And there's also a fee to go up the dome.

I've been to plenty of impressive "places of worship" that has a token entry fee. Basilica of San Vitale, Tigers Nest, Spanish Synagogue, Shwedagon, Saint-Michel d’Aiguilhe, Meiji Gardens, Hagia Sophia etc

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free

In reality, there is almost not one important monument worth visiting for a tourist that does not have an entry fee! Costs of entry varies; in more developed countries the cost is same for locals and tourists while in less developed countries the difference can be significative. But that is somehow expected, with different buying power/BDP between countries.

Reply to: Shouldn’t be places of worship be free
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted