We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ticket Advice

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
449 reviews
Train Ticket Advice

Hi , i will be arriving at the airport on 19th February and will be getting a/c bus directly to Kandy in the early hours. Got all my accommodation booked but wish to travel by train for the rest of my stay.

Friday 23rd Kandy to Ella 8.47 am train

Wednesday 28th Ella to Haputale 6.40 train

Sunday 4th March Haputale to Nuwara Eliya 7.45 train

Thursday 8th March Nuwara Eliya 9.25 train to Colombo--- Negombo

I heard that it is quite difficult to reserve seats so when should i purchase the tickets or do you think there will be seats available if i just turn up at the station.

4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,116 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: Train Ticket Advice

Hi there,

For unreservable carriages you can ALWAYS buy a ticket, but getting a seat with it or even getting inside the train with luggage can be almost impossible. For 28-Feb and 4-Mar I would not pay for reservations as these are (in that direction) relatively quiet, for the other two I'd reserve...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Great Dunmow...
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Train Ticket Advice

we are looking to get the train on 23 jan Colombo to kandy there seems to be a 1030 am train .we will have two large suitcases but how do you reserve a seat ? there was a thread to an agency but it seemed to be 11 pounds sterling pp ? I am not comfortable fighting to get on board !!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,116 posts
229 reviews
3. Re: Train Ticket Advice

Well yes so you HAVE to use an agency like visitsrilankatours.co.uk, see link under reply 1. They charge triple the price at the station but for good reasons, and 22 pound is still a lot lower than cost of a cab for that stretch...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: Train Ticket Advice

Thanks for the advice ERIK

Reply to: Train Ticket Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted