We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best option for getting a seat to Ella

14 posts
best option for getting a seat to Ella

Hello,

I left it a little late, but I tried to book a ticket with my hotel and they said all the reserved seats are sold out.

I'm travelling to Ella on the 23rd Jan and I know I can still travel on that day and if I do a mad dash I might get a seat, but in all likelihood I will probably be the last person to enter the train as I don't do well with rushing.

I don't mind standing until I can get a seat, but my bf has an issue with his leg and it'll be hard for him to stand for a long period of time. Where we live there are always seats for the elderly, pregnant or disabled passengers. Does Sri Lanka have that?

I tried to book the private carriages through rajdhani and expo rail, but their websites aren't working.

Thanks!

Edited: 02 January 2018, 06:43
4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,511 posts
228 reviews
1. Re: best option for getting a seat to Ella

Hi there,

No private carriages, sorry. The seats for handicapped in the trains are not as 'hard' as in other countries; the signs above them primarily reserve them for monks/Ministers, I doubt a local would give up his seat for someone claiming some handicap except when clearly visible with e.g. crutches.

Get in a few stations before Kandy, that gives a decent chance for a seat when close to Kandy many people leave.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: best option for getting a seat to Ella

Hi Erik

Sorry to bother you but I need your advice! So I'm in Colombo now and earlier I went to the train station to buy tickets for Habanara where we will stay 3days. Then we wanted to go to Kandy by bus, stay 2 nights and take the train to Ella....which they told is already full :-( now can you recommend me the best way to be sure to catch the train?!thanks Flavia

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,511 posts
228 reviews
3. Re: best option for getting a seat to Ella

Well as above, go to a few stations before Kandy, e.g. Kadugannawa, and buy a ticket for unreserved. Tickets are sold in unlimited numbers, but seats not; however when you board there you have SOME chance getting a seat just before Kandy when people who leave get up.

<Erik>

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
4. Re: best option for getting a seat to Ella

There are only 2 options . You can book the tickets in advance or on the day you can visit the station cus there an be cancellations (experienced). Kandy is my hometown so I know how it work. Do not ask your hotel’s front desk about ella train tickets. They used to say ‘it’s full’. No it’s not. Visit the station a week before or at least 3days before.

P.s - Talk to the counter first but don’t forget that the bookstore/travel counter near the entrance might have some tickets. (Tip)

Reply to: best option for getting a seat to Ella
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted