We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

Our family will be visiting Adams Peak in January 2018. Many have said it is cold at night and early morning on Adams Peak, but the relativity of this is a bit hard to work out in terms of what to wear. Are we talking sub zero, wear your ski gear, or a bit chilly where a jumper over your tee shirt will do the job?

I presume that as it’s a religious site that shorts would be frowned upon?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Adam's Peak
Adam's Peak
1,423 Reviews
Nallathanniya, Sri Lanka
6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,009 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

Hi Richard,

Make it 2 jumpers on top of each other and then it should work ;-) It's indeed subzero at the more windy spots of the path and the top, and as it's a peak it's hard to find a NON-windy spot; even the monks living at the top had to bend their rules a bit and wear a bonnet on their shaven heads, even between the walls of their badly-isolated building. Indeed no shorts near the top but at that level it has become too cold for them anyhow.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

https://wikitravel.org/en/Adam%27s_Peak

Edited: 01 January 2018, 12:37
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

Thank you so much for your advice. That makes it easier to plan

Richard

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

A thick sweater and a good wind-breaker over your normal clothes should do it. Hiking shoes, good socks, and trekking poles will be a great help during the descent. Mind you most locals will have none of these and they still go up merrily, singing and chanting! Also, keep waterproof clothing with you in case it rains.

Buddhism respects weather conditions, so I don't think anyone will object if you keep your head covered at the summit temple, in the freezing morning.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

If you climb fast enough you're going to sweat through your sweaters. So chances are that you'd start out with layers and then be taking them off. But you'd need the windbreaker once you're at the top.

maskeliya Srilanka
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

Dear Guest, It is true, most nights are cold and the min; Temp; around 5c.But when climbing you won't feel it . On the top 2243 MSL and the bottom 1150mt(MSL). Most wears thick warm clothes while on the top to see the Sunrise.You better use road through Hatton as this road is the easiest ,(5830 steps;Approx).The best periods DECEMBER TO MARCH TO SEE THE SUNRISE/SHADOW IN THE WESTERN SKY,

The nearest Train station is Hatton, My advise is select the train from Colombo or Kandy. (Refer my article in trip Advisor)You can stay Maskeliya or Delhouse before start up.Thank you

Edited: 19 January 2018, 18:05
Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb

Layers. You will work up a sweat once you get going and need to shed clothes so have a good back back to carry them in. It is bitterly cold at the top so try to minimise your time there by arriving a minute before dawn.

Coming down you will be hot - unless you strike some rain. There's a rest spot at a bridge with a creek where people like to cool their hot feet.

top: T shirt, light weight woolen jumper and wind breaker jacket. Hat for top and fingerless gloves if you don't like cold hands.

Bottom: Long shorts, tracky daks. good walking shoes and socks. Water, Voltaren gel for the knees coming down, boiled sweets/chocolate for pick me up when the going gets tough and camera.

My daughter took a walking pole and found it a hindrance rather than a help and we were stuck with carrying it.

Enjoy this special experience.

Regards Archi

Reply to: Adams Peak in January 2018. What to wear for a 2am climb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted