We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Applying Nigerian Visa!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
Applying Nigerian Visa!

Hi ,

I will be traveling to Nigeria for the first time, this Christmas and arriving in Lagos. I was going to start my visa application this weekend but there are a few things that I am unsure and confused about.

This is what is required for a tourist visa:

1. Original Passport valid for at least 6 months

2. One recent coloured passport size photograph with at least 3 months validity. I'm not sure what they need this for. Do they apply this to the visa?

3. Completed online Entry Visa Application Form and Sign

4. Confirmed Payment

5. Visa Acknowledgment Slip

6. Forward original passport, all required documents and a self-addressed return CANADA POST PRIORITY OR XPRESSPOST ENVELOPE ONLY.

7. Drop off the visa application is Tuesday to Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 1:00pm.

Can I send it by registered mail as I live 4 hours from Ottawa?

8. Photocopy of Yellow Fever vaccination certificate.

Requirements for Tourist Visa:

ITEMS 1-12 above +

a. A typed self-explanatory letter request for Tourist visa - I'm not sure what I am supposed to write here besides a request for a Tourist visa for (dates) and to visit friend.

Is there anyone who has done this and would be willing to help or share their letter?

b. Letter of Confirmation of employment from employer in Canada

c. A confirmed hotel reservation for the duration of stay in Nigeria, and copy of Hotel Employer's Identification Card - My trip is not until December 21, 2018 so I haven't booked any hotels yet. It seems too early to be doing this especially since during part of my trip, I will be traveling to another town (Enugu) to visit another friend. What do I do? And why do I need to get a copy of an employer's identification care from the hotel?

d. Evidence of sufficient funds: Photocopy of Receipts for the purchase of U.S. funds from the bank considered adequate to cover the cost of the trip and not Statement of Account.

Does it have to be from the bank? What if I go to one of those money exchange places in the mall? Also, how much is "sufficient" for them? I don't know how much to bring as I don't know how much things cost in Nigeria. Also, when traveling to Europe, which I know is very different, I used my credit card a lot but mostly for bigger purchases but had euros on me. I'm just wondering if it's better to use cash more and keep the credit card for anything major?

Thank you for your help! : )

15 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

a) don't overthink it.

b) I didn't have to do this, but maybe not every Nigerian Embassy has the same rules?

c) very strange indeed. Can you ask your friend if he can send you an invitation letter telling that he is hosting you? would be much simpler (tell me if you need an invitation letter sample).

d) wow this is trange too. Don't even know what to say :D Call the embassy and ask.

Forget about using your international Credit Card for payments in Nigeria, even more so in Enugu. What I found the best is to get a Revolut Master- or Visa card and the app. That card is very good and much cheaper than regular Mastercard to get local money (Naira) from the ATM. Also, with the App, you get so much safety options. Sometimes, when I was far from an ATM, i could give my card to anyone who had a motocycle, to bring me Nairas. I just limited the amount to what I wanted (for ex. 60 $).. Soooooooooooo helpful and made my live in NIgeria so much easier. And you can up your revolut card with your regular Credit Card.

Edited: 25 August 2018, 08:24
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

...." top up" not "up" the card, sorry wouldn't let me edit it again

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

Thanks. I have never heard of a Revolut card. I will look into this. Thank you for letting me know.

4. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 August 2018, 17:44

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

yes I didn't realise the problem with the credit cards until I went to Nigeria for the first time. It's related to their bank notes. The highest bill is 1'000 Naira = approx 3 US $. At the ATM (expect long queues), you can't get more than 20'000 at the time, often it is also max. 10'000. That means that each time you put your card, the credit card company will charge you their fee. Let's say you want 100 $, you that might be 10 x the normal fee...

Edited: 25 August 2018, 17:58
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
6. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

We are facing the exact same issue. I’m also traveling to Nigeria in December, applying for my visa in Canada (Alberta) and finding this process very confusing.

I’ve called the Nigerian High Commission twice now to try to get a clear checklist and/or guidance on the required documents but am honestly no further ahead.

I’m also worried about the timing of applying for my visa too early or too late.

There’s also a significant worldwide shortage of the yellow fever vaccine and all we can get is a fractional dosage which will protect against the disease but will not give us the certificate of vaccination. The travel clinic I attended for my vaccination gave me a stamped record of the vaccination I received, and apparently, from what I gather from my calls to the NHC, this will be sufficient.

I will tell you that hotels are filling quickly in Lagos.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

Wow.... That's not good. I know that it's hard to get through to anyone at any embassy from past experience.

Someone posted a while back, with regards to needing help with his visa application and someone from TA helped him. I wish that person would pop up here!!! : )

What did the people at Nigerian High Commission say? Maybe we can work through it together via PM?

I think it's better to apply sooner vs later. I was also told to visit in person although I live 4 hours away but want to have all of my documents/letter ready. Did you locate the cost? I believe it's $75 US?

I didn't know that there was a shortage for the yellow fever vaccine. : ( This is not good and to be only giving a fraction of the dosage?? Is the cost a fraction of the regular price?! : )

I'm going to contact the travel clinic in my area and find out. I know that in order to be issued a visa, you need to show a photocopy of your yellow fever card.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

Try contacting a visa company, they will tell you exactly what you need

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
530 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

Hello,

From all I know, a valid bank statement of not less than 3 month old is what is required as evidence of funds from your Bank & not cash in hand.

Edited: 30 August 2018, 09:03
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
10. Re: Applying Nigerian Visa!

I contacted a visa company and had a truly awful experience. I had hoped to get clarification but instead she told me there was no chance I’d obtain a visa unless I could prove we had spent time together already. Then when I asked about changing my purpose from visitor to tourist she laughed at me and said that wouldn’t happen either because no one goes to Nigeria as a tourist. I don’t know what her problem was, because clearly people, Canadian people ARE obtaining visas to Nigeria, but my experience left me very discouraged, anxious, and more confused than before I called.

Reply to: Applying Nigerian Visa!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted