We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone to Nigeria

5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling alone to Nigeria

Hello, I got accepted for an internship in the federal university of petrolium ressources in effurun DElta state, Nigeria .

This is my first time travelling outside of Tunisia. I will be travelling alone.

I ll be going to lagos and then to benin city where the host will be waiting for me. However they said I need to leave the airport to another one in order to reach my internal flight from lagos to benin

would please give me some tips inorder to help me be safe , use trasport, and just know how to adjust and be accepted

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Fela Kuti Private Tour
from US$70.00*
Free Cancellation
La Campagne Tropicana Private Beach...
from US$72.50*
Free Cancellation
Lekki Conservation Centre Private...
2 Reviews
from US$84.00*
Free Cancellation
11 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
16,079 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

I reccommend you download the student handbook, which is available via this link to the University’s own website...

Link here.

https://www.fupre.edu.ng/s/?fupre=page&id=92

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

Thank you a lot

it is really helpful. However I would like some advice about the journey and about cabs from the lagos airport to ikeja in order to take the internal flight. I am a bit scared becasue it my my first time travelling. and should I have naira with me or dollars are okay. where can I exchange money at the airport?

I am a 22 years old girl travelling alone are there some things to do to protect myself .

I know that media make things looke scarier and what they show is not true and all but I want to know more things to be prepared.

my country has a population of 11 millon people so this is all new to me and I want to be reday to make the journey safe. I m relly looking forward to go there I chose that place among so many other places. so please more help

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

When you arrive at Lagos International Airport, after passing immigration, you will wait for the bags to be delivered. There you will see people who ask you to help you with the bags, in exchange of some money. Choose one, and tell him that you don't need help with your bags, but transport to the domestic airport.

He will stay with you until you collect your bag and help you through customs.

Most likely you won't have Nigeria money with you, use like 50 us$, or euros, and he will take you to change it (check the rate before going there)

He will expect about 2,000 NGN (6US$)

The car to domestic Airport will be around 4,000 NGN, the price depends on the traffic situation. Calculate enough time for all this.

What company are you traveling with inside Nigeria?

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

Ohhh thank you a lot.that is really helpful

It is written on the flight summery :from los to bni (w3 620) no other information about the internal flight

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

It is with arik air

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

Hi im a Nigerian and i can try to assist you a little with information.

Hopefully you land in lagos airport then take a flight to Benin city. Its always best to come prepared bearing in mind that you might have a delay go benin. If you like reading , you could hold a book or magazine. Safe flight. Hope you enjoy your stay. You could ask any enquiries would be glad to answer

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

Thank you very much I appreciate your help ^_^

Prestwich, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

I'm coming to nigeria in July to visit a friend in hospital there and staying for a few days will I need any other documents beside my passport ,,,I will be picked up at international airport in warri or lagos

England, United...
Level Contributor
16,079 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

carolheap58

If this is a friend you have actually met, face to face, in the same room , and have known for some time, then you probably don’t need to read the advice in this U.K. Foreign & Commonwealth website about scams emanating from Nigeria... Here’s a link. Open it and scroll down to the section entitled “Scams”

https:/…safety-and-security

If you only met and “know” your friend on-line, have ever sent them money ( probably by Western Union or another site where the money you send is untraceable and irrecoverable) then I think you have considerable cause for concerns about your “ friend “.

Take care...

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Ikeja, Nigeria
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling alone to Nigeria

With the way you are sounding you are already scared of your journey cos of that I will advice you relate wit the school to connect you with someone that will assist to guide you from the airport down to Benin or you find a trusted Nigerian citizen to give you a aid, wish you safe trip, although I work in Lagos close to the airport if you need my assistant you can give me a prior notice so I can reschedule my work to meet your time of arrival. Shalom

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Reply to: Travelling alone to Nigeria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lagos