We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ms krista varney

1 post
Ms krista varney

I have been in correspondence with Ms Krista Varney for about a year now, she has told me she is being treated at the Glory Field hospital Lagos. She travelled to Nigeria as a tourist from USA with her flatmate who was Nigerian. On the way from the airport her Taxi was involved in a accident and her companion was killed and Krista was taken to the hospital where she has been ever since. Krista tells me she is from Barbados and has lived in the States for 6 years. I have helped her with various sums of money sent through Weston Union and we have become close, I live in UK and it had been her idea to join me in the UK. However, although I am prepared to buy a ticket for her to fly to UK, she now tells me that the airport is now asking for a BTA sum of $900 before she can fly.to UK. I am very troubled by this as I have no means to verify this or indeed to verify whether Krista is who she says she is or just another scammer.

10 replies to this topic
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1. Re: Ms krista varney

It sounds like a scam

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
2. Re: Ms krista varney

Sorry Spike, but you have been drawn into a classic scam

The simple fact is that the moment "BTA" is mentioned, you KNOW its a scam.

BTA is an ALLOWANCE of foreign currency that a NIGERIAN resident is allowed to draw from a Nigerian bank when travelling out of country, and is absolutely nothing to do with foreigners leaving the country.

Scammers have highjacked the term for their own use.

At least now you know its a scam,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but now is the time to cut all ties, ignore the pleas for more and more money, these people are experts at what they do, and wont give up easily.

Ivan

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
106 reviews
3. Re: Ms krista varney

Here’s a link to our UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office page about Nigeria.

https:/…safety-and-security

Scroll down it to the section entitled “ Scams” and read what it says.

You are undoubtedly being scammed.

The person who has been conning you will never come to the U.K., and you will never see a penny of your money ever again.

Cut all contact and don’t send another penny, no matter how desperate or impassioned the pleas for help get.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Ms krista varney

Spike, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Your "Ms Krista" is probably a teenage boy in an internet cafe with a laptop. Cut all contact.

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
533 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Ms krista varney

Hello Mr Ivan,

I bet you just used the best adjective to qualify this scam type.

Its a real classic scam

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Ms krista varney

@Spike J,

Please wake up and come to your senses, you are being scammed and milked for money.

You've already been naive enough to send money to this person, now it's the right time to stop. Severe immediately all connections with this scammer, ditch your sim card, close FB and change your Skype ID.

6 posts
7. Re: Ms krista varney

Spike ? How did the story turn out !? Don’t be embarrassed I hope you stopped sending her money.. let us know ? I got scammed too it’s ok..

8. Re: Ms krista varney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 September 2018, 16:23

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
106 reviews
9. Re: Ms krista varney

Zackary

The OP didn’t return to the forum after receiving the early replies to his post, and it’s doubtful he will.

BTW, why are you asking people, in a thread you just opened, to contact you direct and giving your email address?

2 posts
10. Re: Ms krista varney

Scam

Reply to: Ms krista varney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations