We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! I made a big mistake !!

Philadelphia...
11 posts
Help!! I made a big mistake !!

Hi all, i'm planning to travel to Nigeria this coming week but I made a mistake and absentmindedly went to the wrong embassy for visa, I went to the Ghana embassy for visa instead of the Nigerian embassy. It didn't dawn on me until I left the embassy after paying d visa money n handing over my passport to them. My intention is to go to Nigeria not Ghana. I want to know if I can still book a flight straight to Nigeria with a visa that's me at for Ghana or if I would have to go through the trouble of taking a traveling bus from Ghana to Nigeria upon arrival? I'm half Ghanaian and half Nigerian by the way.

Please I need an answer asap as I'm going this week I want to know if there's a way I can save myself the trouble of going straight to Ghana then having to take another bus to Nigeria or if I can just come straight to Nigeria n save myself a whole bunch of headache. P.s I've asked everybody I know this question but they all said they don't know I've even tried calling the embassy several times but no one is picking, they just put u on hold they NEVER pick their calls.

10 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
1. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

There is a visa on arrival option. https://immigration.gov.ng/visa-on-arrival/

Level Contributor
51 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

Even with a visa to Ghana, you would still need a visa to enter Nigeria whether you go by land or air. Perhaps the visa on arrival will work for you.

If you're able to get through all of this, consider getting your passports for both countries or at least one of them to ease your travels in West Africa.

Philadelphia...
11 posts
3. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

But I don't think that will be possible for me b/c if we were to buy d ticket for Nigeria n my visa says I'm supposed to be going to ghana I doubt the ppl at d airport who'll check my passport n ticket will let me enter d plane to nigeria since my visa is meant for another country. My mom says she doesn't think so b/c she says if I'm given a visa to a country then tht is d country I must go to. N besides d visa upon arrival is a whole nother process u have to write to them n provide prove of this n tht n blah blah blah 1st b4 they could approve of ur coming to nigeria.

Philadelphia...
11 posts
4. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

@Halally i have an American passport n a ghanaian passport but my ghanaian passport expired. I went to the ghana embassy to renew my passport so tht i could use it to travel (i thought i could use d ghana passport to enter nigeria without visa) since i thought i was a dual citizen but upon arrival they told me im not yet a dual citizen n tht if i wanted to be 1 i will have to apply 4 tht n it takes at least 7 months to 1 yr to get it they said plus they where asking for additional documentation which i disnt have with me for d passport n d embassy is very far 4m were i live, about 4 hr drive away I couldn't go n come back so they suggested tht i apply for a ghana visa instead time was going n they time 4 d consular was 4m 9 am to 12 pm so i was in a hurry to get my application done b4 d time n totally got carried away forgetting i was to apply for d visa at d nigerian embassy not the ghana embassy n instead applied at d ghana embassy. This mistake happened b/c i went there for a ghana passport renewal who's requirement was even more complex than d visas. It didnt dawn on me until i left d embassy n got to d station to take d traveling bus back to my state.

Level Contributor
51 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

Sade, your mum is right. A visa only grants you entry to the specified country or travel area. You're also right on the visa on arrival thingy. It's not as easy as it is being presented.

In view of all these and your present circumstances, I suggest the following:

1. Travel to Ghana with the visa you have been given

2. Go to the passport office in Accra and obtain a temporary travel document since your Gh passport is expired

3. Travel to Nigeria with the temp travel document from Ghana and you will be given the normal Ecowas entry based on your Gh citizenship. Entry is usually for an initial period of 30 days.

In all of these, your multi-nationality will not even feature so mentioning it might complicate your issues.

Without a Nigerian passport or Ghanaian/US passport (with a valid visa), I'm afraid you will not be granted entry to Nigeria.

Philadelphia...
11 posts
6. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

Thank you Halally for the answer, you're absolutely right about all what you said. But there's also a way i can go to nigeria without d passport or visa. I'ld just have to pay the custom officers some money to let me go. Ppl do it all the time. I won't let them know im coming from america, they will disturb me n ask me for more money, perhaps dollars b4 letting me go n if i refuse they may not let me go as they'll let others go. I will keep tht information from them n hide my passport. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
51 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

I will not advise you to proceed as planned. This will amount to taking advantage of the loopholes in the system.

Philadelphia...
11 posts
8. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

No i meant i will legally travel to ghana but when i get to ghana i will take a straight traveling bus from ghana to nigeria. When i reach d ghana border, i won't show them my American passport, i will just speak d language for them as proof tht im one of them or show them my expired ghanaian passport to prove tht im a ghanaian then they will let me go. But when i reach d togo/benin border i will have to pay them some money for not carrying a valid traveling passport with me. I will not show them my american passport b/c the custom officials in africa will disturb me n demand for a huge sum of cash b4 letting me go (perhaps dollars) so i will hide my american passpprt from them n only show them my expired ghanaian passport just to prove tht im indeed from 1 of d ecowas countries. I did not mean i will proceed to travel to ghana without a valid passport i meant i will legally travel to ghana with a valid passport but when i get to ghana n start traveling to nigeria i will hide my american passport from d custom officials so tht they won't worry me. You know africans dont care if u dont have a passport as long as u give them money they will let u cross d border.

Edited: 19 April 2018, 03:59
9. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2018, 12:31

6 posts
10. Re: Help!! I made a big mistake !!

It will be better for you to get a Ghanian National IDENTITY card after you get to Ghana ASAP and you must have a Ecowas International Passport(E-passport) they don't really have time to check out your Ghanian international PASSPORT whether it has expired or not, you can still use it has a prove of Ecowas citizenship to travel to Lagos city, Nigeria without paying huge bribe to the border officers. I think you need to take a direct luxurious bus from Ghana to Nigeria.

It's good to have someone who can assist you with anything in Lagos city, Nigeria and they can ask you about your family or friends in Nigeria as well. Goodluck with your Trip to Nigeria and have a stress free trip to West Africa.

Reply to: Help!! I made a big mistake !!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lagos