We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights at Tsavo West

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
957 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights at Tsavo West

my daughter and I are considering at possible 6 nights trip to Tsavo West for April 2017 and have thus far received the following quotes:

6 nights at Ngulia Safari Lodge $ 1.150 pp pn

6 nights at Kilaguni Serena Safari Lodge for $ 1.275 pp pn

Now we wonder if these sound like a reasonable rates (they include transport to and from Nairobi plus unlimited drives in a 4x4 private minibus) or if we should try to shop around a bit more.

Since I have never been to either lodge, I would also like to know if they are in totally different areas of the park, so that we should probably spend three nights at each of them.

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

Kilaguni Serena is a far better standard than Ngulia. I also don't agree with the baiting at Ngulia. I would split my time between Tsavo East and West instead as 6 nights in West might be a bit much.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

Hi Oliver,

6Night is too much for Tsavo and i do agree with Tembofan.

With 6Nights 7Days you should consider doing Amboseli, 2 Nights, Tsavo East 2, Night Tsavo West 2nights

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
957 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

thanks guys but that was not what I asked - I am not interested in Amboseli and I not neither interested in Tsavo East, been to both places

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

I would stay at the Serena. Much better maintained property, with higher food and service standards.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

Yes in fact the best game drive is always in Tsavo East sometimes you spend too much time at West and nothing to spot, since you have 6 nights i would suggest you split at maybe 1 night Tsavo West, 2- 3 nights at Saltlick sanctuary and 2 nights Tsavo East at Ashnil Aruba.

Syaing more nights at Saltlck Sarova you will have great timer for adventure since the park has the watering holes from your room.

About the price quoted for the 6 nights that is good deal price is within the range no over charge or under charge. Enjoy and have more fun when time come.

Best

Ancient Wild.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

Thank you so much then Tsavo West and Saltlick would fit you well.

Go for the best and enjoy ,more.

Ancient Wild

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

Ngulia is in a hilly, scenic area on the east side of Tsavo West's large developed area. But the wildllfe experience here is somewhat limited in my experience. I think you'll get more out of Kilaguni, and while I have a soft spot for Ngulia, I think it's decades past its best. Near Kilaguni, you might also consider Severin Safari Camp, which is very well run, set down on the plain, among the wildlife. It's not far from Kilaguni and both are close to Mzima Springs, which is the key attraction in Tsavo West.

Happy decision-making!

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

Is your plan to just relax around the lodge? Things to see and do in West are limited and could be done in a couple of days. There's the Rhino Sanctuary near Ngulia (open at 4.00 pm), Mzima Springs, Shetani lava flows, Poachers Lookout, or outside Lake Jipe and First World War history. There's also Finch Hattons and Voyager Ziwani camp to consider.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

You can not split?? First stay at the ngulia Safari Lodge for 2 or 3 nights, different landscape and good chances that you see the Leopard at the Ngulia Safari Lodge at night.

Do game drives around Rhino Sanctuary, Roaring Rocks and all the Area around Ngulia.

Then stay 3 or 4 Nights at Kilanguni Serena Lodge. From here visit the Poachers Lookout, Mzima Springs, Chimau Lava and Shetani Lava Flow.

This would give better coverage of the Park as it is quite big.

But start with Ngulia......

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
957 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 nights at Tsavo West

maybe splitting sounds like a good idea...if we pay entrance fees for Tsavo West, does that also cover Tsavo East? Or are they considered as separate parks?

thanks

Reply to: 6 nights at Tsavo West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...
More Tsavo National Park West Topics