We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

hey there,

I am just planning on crossing the border from Tanzania near Taveta and then taking a bus to Mwatate or Voi. On google maps it seems the road (A23) is cutting right through Tsavo West National Park...so I am wondering if you need to pay park fees if you are passing on that road?

also, is there a reliable bus connection between Taveta and Voi?

thanks for all info

brokaaa

Mentioned in this post
VOI Kiwengwa Resort
VOI Kiwengwa Resort
1,633 Reviews
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Tsavo
Tsavo
Tsavo National Park West, Kenya
8 replies to this topic
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
527 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

From Taveta you can take Tahmeed Bus to Voi/Mombasa. You don't pay park fees but you probably see some elephants from the road. In case you want to go to Wundanyi (Taita Hills) you just get off in Mwatate and take a matatu up the steep hill. Nice area for hiking!

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

hey,

thanks for the info.

Tahmeed Bus even runs from Arusha and Moshi, right? So I can just get on the bus there and then drive all the way to Mombasa if necessary? Is that possible? I could not find a complete schedule and/or price list for Tahmeed bus.

I might actually stop for a night somewhere along the way, though, if there's a nice place to spend a night and it is not too expensive (that probably means outside the parks).

asante sana

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
527 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

Tahmeed Bus used to go to Moshi and Arusha and most probably they still do. When I traveled from Mombasa towards Taveta they put me on the Taveta Bus. In January, Mombasa - Taveta was 700 KES. Depending on your time, you could go from Mwatate to Wundanyi, which is very nice for hiking (mountains up to 2500 m). Voi itself, if you don't want to visit the Parks, there's not much to see. It's just a busy town between the two Tsavo Parks. Maybe 15 Km towards Mombasa there is Sagala Lodge with a pool. Otherwise, if you are coming from Moshi/Arusha, Taveta is also a good place to spend a day. Cheap accommodation (Triple J Guesthouse), Lake Challa is a great half day visit!

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Tsavo
Tsavo
Tsavo National Park West, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

thanks for all your help.

I just managed to find out from a local guy: Tahmeed Bus is still leaving from Moshi to Mombasa via Taveta.

if we (there will be two of us) get off the bus at Mwatate to go to Wundanyi (for hiking or something), how ca we get there and how long does it take? Is it safe to go hiking there (1 white male and 1 white female) alone or do we need a guide and what kind of tours are there?

also: can we then just buy another ticket for Tahmeed bus in Mwatate to take us to Mombasa (or is there no office for example?). What is the best option to go to Mombasa Airport once we are near the city?

sorry for posing so many questions, thank you very much for your time and effort!

best wishes!

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
527 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

From Mwatate you get matatus although you probably have to wait for some time. I don't remember exactly how long it takes from Mwatate to Wundanyi (it's 5 years already) but up the hill it should be around one hour (going back is much faster). That time it was safe but still I went with a local guide. I went on a full day walking tour but as there are quite a few peaks and view points you can also do shorter ones.

For continuing to Mombasa you just wait at the bus stop in Mwatate. The road passes close to Mombasa Airport but I'm not sure if you are allowed to reach the airport by foot (security wise).

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

thanks so much again, that is very helpful.

one last question: how much should we expect to pay for a taxi from mombasa centre to the airport - and is going by bus a safe option?

asante sana

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
527 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

From Mombasa Old Town a taxi should be around 1200 KES. We had guests who told me, he went from town to the airport by Tuk Tuk and he paid 700 KES. What I heard, but a Destination Expert for Mombasa should know that for sure, there is a shuttle bus from Royal Court Hotel (?) to Mombasa Airport. When I'm in Mombasa and I need to go to the airport I always use my taxi driver

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Royal Court Hotel
Royal Court Hotel
94 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?

thanks so much!

Reply to: A23 >> bus connection/park fees?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...
More Tsavo National Park West Topics