We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border

Toronto
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border

Hi there!

Has anyone traveled from Kenya to Tanzania through the Taveta border recently? I will be traveling between Amboseli/Tsavo towards Moshi, and 99% of the posts I've read in TA mention only the Namanga border. This does not make sense in my itinerary as on the map I see that Moshi is very close to Taveta and Tsavo. Are there buses going there? If so from where? Voi? I gather there will be a transfer at the border, but it will much better than going all the way back to Nairobi, just to head south again. My trip is in May. Will the rains affect this road? Thank you !

4 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border

The Taveta border is functional and if you are coming from Tsavo to Moshi then this will be your obvious choice. If you are coming from Amboseli to Moshi then you will use Loitoktok/Tarakea border again this is functional and i have used it severally from Amboseli to Moshi on Kili climb mission.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border

If you come from Amboseli Gate, you might find a matatu to the Oloitoktok border, but if you're backpacking a motorbike taxi would be a quicker option and not expensive. On the other side, the road winds up the mountainside till it reaches Marangu. On this stretch I'm not sure if there are matatus, but there should be some public transport even if it is a pickup truck or a small car packed with 8 people. From Marangu there are frequent matatus to Moshi.

From Tsavo, you can catch the daily bus from Mombasa to Taveta which passes through Voi around midday. There could be other bus options from Voi as well.

In either case, no need to double back to Nairobi.

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border

Tahmeed Bus leaves Mombasa at 7 am, that means it reaches Voi (junction Mombasa - Nairobi Highway/ Taveta) around 10 am. I don't know if there are later buses also. They used to go to Arusha but now I didn't find any information on the internet. Two months ago the road from Voi to Mwatate was perfect but after Mwatate it was a dirt road. But people told me they were working on the road from Taveta towards Mwatate.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border

Thanks for the correction on the bus schedule. Re the Mwatate-Taveta road improvement, I remember reading it was to be completed in 2017. It's useable now though of course rough.

Reply to: Kenya to Tanzania through Taveta Border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...
More Tsavo National Park West Topics