We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

I'm headed down to Amboseli and Tsavo West in a couple of days on a self-drive safari. We'll be out for several days and are prepared (and would prefer) to sleep in our vehicle, which is specifically set up for us to do this.

We've had good luck finding a campsite just outside Amboseli, but now we need to find a campsite in Tsavo West. We would normally camp just outside the park. Unfortunately, because the entry fee for Tsavo West is 24 hours but with only a single entry, we would have to pay the fee again to enter in the morning, and we'd like to avoid that.

So, does anyone have recommendations on where we can crash inside Tsavo? Is there a budget camp that would allow us to park our vehicle for a small fee? We don't need water, hookups or any of the like.

Alternatively, perhaps I am wrong and the 24-hour fee for Tsavo West allows two entries during that timeframe? I'm not holding my breath on that, but in that case, recommendations outside the park for cheap camping would also help!

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

I will partially answer my own question for future readers. There is at least one inexpensive campsite in Tsavo West, just outside the Chyulu Gate on the west end of the park. It is a bit out of the way, but if you're in Tsavo West already, it's really not far at all (about 35 km from the Mtito Andei gate). It is literally just outside Chyulu Gate, and the ranger there indicated that you can camp there and enter the park in the morning without having exited the park (remember that Tsavo West is a single-entry pass, so if you leave the park normally you cannot re-enter on the same 24-hour fee). So you can get to Tsavo in the afternoon, do an evening game drive, go camp, and do a morning game drive on a single day's fee.

Camping is $20 per person. Not cheap, but it has full bathroom and shower facilities. Can't speak to quality, but it is there and probably quiet much of the year.

Nairobi, Kenya
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

I am a student at the technical university of mombasa studying tourism and trying to organize a 3 day camping at the tsavo west national park. Are there any public camps and how much are the charges per night for a group of around 14 pax

3. Re: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 August 2016, 10:30
Edited: 26 August 2016, 10:30

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

Have a look at Sagala Lodge - a nice, clean inexpensive lodge.

It's not inside the Park, its in Voi.

https:/…

https://www.facebook.com/sagala.lodge

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

Good Luck

Edited: 26 August 2016, 10:29
Malindi, Kenya
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

We are organising a trip to Tsavo west , a two day camp with twenty seven students with four teachers. How much will the lodging, food and the tour cost?

Level Contributor
932 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West

Sagala is an atmospheric place with hills nearby. However the wildlife is far more limited than Tsavo's. Elephants sometimes pass through the area but you're likely to see only monkeys and bush buck, plus some birds.

Reply to: Cheap camping inside Tsavo West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...
More Tsavo National Park West Topics