We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

Hi. Will be self driving from Nairobi toTsavo West this weekend. Staying 2 nights at Kilaguni and one night at Voyager Ziwani. What’s the best road route to use? I like the Emali to Loitoktok route which I have used before till Kimani to get into Amboseli. Would it be better to use that or through Mtito?

Also what would be best for the return when we would leave Voyager and want to head straight back to Nairobi?

6 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

When I last stayed at Voyager Ziwani which we booked thro' Bonfire Adventures, the driver took the turn off from Mtito.

It's a shorter route but mostly murram road & less traffic.

The other route from Voi, although tarmac using the NBO-MBA Highway, takes much longer due to traffic.

Good Luck

Mombasa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
108 reviews
2. Re: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

Drive straight to Mtito on the Mombasa Nairobi Road and from here to Kilanguni Serena Lodge.

From Kilanguni, confirm with the Lodge/KWS Rangers (are near the Airstrip of Kilanguni) if the Road to Maktau is passable, if not then drive to the Tsavo River Gate, and drive to Voi and further to Ziwani on the Taveta Road.

For the return use the Taveta Road and then the Mombasa Nairobi Road.

Rombo Road is in a bad shape, depending on what car you are using....

Ziwani consider two nights and take a tour to Lake Chala....

Enjoy the Tour

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

Would I not be able to drive southwest within the park to get to Ziwani as its on the west side of the park? Voi is to the east and much further away?

Main question is also whether from Ziwani I can drive to Nairobi through Emali rather than Mtito?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

Can anyone please advise on the condition of the road from voyager Ziwani to loitoktok via lesit and Rombo?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

An update to the first part of my question above - from Kilaguni to Voyager Ziwani Inder. Had to be past Maktau gate. A long journey of around 110km but generally good roads. Did it in around 2.5 hours so not bad at all. Tomorrow will cover Ziwani return to Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West

Just to help others - left Ziwani Voyager at 10am today and at around 11.30 joined the tarmac at Lesit. The rough road from Ziwani to Lesit via a farm/ranch was 80km. The initial 30km is quite rough and rocky. The rest is smoother. They are working on it. Overall a bumpy but ok drive.

Reply to: Best road to use from Nairobi to Tsavo West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...
More Tsavo National Park West Topics