We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

Hi Everyone,

Does someone know how long is the drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
1. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

Depending on where going/staying/camp at Chyulu, as I recall the drive time was about 1hr +/-

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if its possible to use Finch Hattons airstrip being served by SafariLink even if not staying in Finch Hattons lodge?

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
3. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

The airstrip at Finch Hatton's is only a 5min drive from the camp, so that's the one where SL lands.

If heading to Chyulu (as your other query), Campi ya Kanzi uses a private charter flight to/from Wilson (costly),where when deplaning you practically fall into the camp.... it's that close. If, however, staying at Ol Donyo, we flew on a scheduled SL flight to an airstrip not too far from the camp.

When you board flights whether SL or AK after verifying that your propper luggage is being loaded, the agent verifies to which camp you're going so the pilot lands at the proper airstrip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if I can just use Finch Hattons airstrip, (which SafariLink flies to), but check-in at other camps, (Campi Ya Kanzi for example).?

Do you have an idea about the travel time from Finch Hattons airstrip to Campi Ya Kanzi lodge?

Edited: 14 April 2017, 19:40
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
5. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

I advised in other query that the drive time between Hattons and Campi ya Kanzi is about 1+-/- hrs. And even if you did land at Hatton's I can guarantee that Campi Ya Kanzi won't do the transfer for free, if they even will.

If you can afford to stay at Campi, then pay for the Charter flight... not the time to go cheap!

Sorry to be honest.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

Thanks for your advice.

We are thinking that the accommodation in Campi plus private chartered flight going to and getting out of Campi can become expensive. So we are thinking to stay at Tsavo West and use Safarilink / Mombasa Air = which will end up costing less.

We are thinking to stay in Tsavo West (not necessarily Finch Hattons camp), and do a full day tour and game drive in Chyulu Hills. Do we have to drive in the main highway first before we can reach Chyulu Hills?

Thanks!

Edited: 19 April 2017, 23:13
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

In fact, the private charter that Campi ya Kanzi will lay on for you costs around $200 more per person each way than flying - a fraction of the cost of the whole stay. And as Sandi says, they'll charge several hundred dollars to pick you up from/drop you of at Finch Hattons' airstrip, which I have a feeling also involves paying for the Tsavo West National Park fees ($60 per person each visit).

I would keep it simple and use the charter.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills

I forgot to mention, game drives in Chyulu Hills are not simple: there's virtually no track network and no lodges in the park that commonly do that. Most visitors take a drive up the western flank to the cloud forest with a vehicle from either Campi ya Kanzi or Ol Donyo Lodge.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Reply to: Drive from Finch Hattons to Chyulu Hills
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...
More Tsavo National Park West Topics